UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Be Careful In Flooded Areas

K9Fran

I am kind of torn on this. Yes, parents should be careful around floods. Paying taxes does not automatically make the world a safe place: you are supposed to be careful, and there are lots of warnings out about floods at the moment. I know the water company is going to try to make that manhole safer, but in extreme weather conditions, things do get broken and really all you can expect sometimes is that those responsible fix them promptly as soon as they are notified, and in the meanwhile, people should be careful where they walk.

That said, this child was just paddling in what appeared to be a fairly shallow puddle, with her parents close at hand. I'm sure that there have been kids paddling in puddles all over the country all summer long, and most of them have suffered nothing more than getting wet and muddy. Statistically, it's probably not as risky as, say, being driven to the park in a car.

On the whole, I'm inclined to put this one down to 'accidents happen'.

Edited by cycas

I walk our dogs in that park nearly every week but I'd never even registered that storm drain and on Sunday afternoon the place was packed with kids splashing about in several other massive puddles at least a foot deep just like it. I think the Echo said the Dad threw a stick for the dog then turned around and the little girl was nowhere to be seen. He stuck his hand down into the puddle and felt a pull in the middle of it, and then the dog came bouncing over to him and was sucked down into it :(

I'd say the river was about 15-20 foot higher than usual this weekend, and it was moving really fast. I don't know how deep it is but the spot where the little girl emerged is just around a bend where it slows down a bit before gathering speed again for the weir. I'd like to think Brophy will be found but I think it's unlikely :(

Appeal for Brophy here:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/Drain-...over.4475506.jp

Poor lad - I am glad the little girl is safe but so hope the dog is safe too.

What exactly is a storm drain? I guess it must be bigger than the drains in the street?

So sad :(

Edit to add: just googled Images for storm drain:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am...mages&gbv=2

Edited by Lindsay