UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pit Bull - Believing The Lies

EGAR

PIT BULLS: BELIEVING THE BIG LIE

November 3, 2007

German filmmaker Fritz Kippler, Goebbels’ most effective propagandists for the Nazi party, once said that two steps were necessary to promote a Big Lie so the majority of the people in a nation would believe it. The first was to reduce an issue to a simple black-and-white choice that “even the most feebleminded could understand.†The second was to repeat the oversimplification over and over. If these two steps were followed, people would always come to believe the Big Lie.

Today’s big lie in the United States concerns a mythical monster dog that was created by the Humane Society of the United States in order to line their pockets by stopping dog fighting. At the time dog fighting was legal in the late 1970’s. Dog fighting was dying out due to a lack of interest. It was legal, regulated and sanctioned until the HSUS worked so dilligently to have dog fighting made illegal. Today dogfighting, being illegal, is bigger, and bloodier than ever it was when legal. It is no longer governed by rules, and regulations nor is it operated under sanctions. The dogs are not revered as of old, they are simply fodder for the machine.

HSUS has a very good publicity department that feeds disinformation to the sensationalistic media. To one who takes notice, in articles about “pit bulls†the term may appear more than two dozen times compared to articles about other dogs whose identification may only be mentioned once, if at all.

There is no such breed of dog that is recognized, or registered by any dog registry as “pit bullâ€. Yet under the guise of banning this mythical monster there are nearly eighty breeds of dogs that are restricted, or prohibited from ownership in venues throughout the USA. (See http://www.povn.com/rdows)

There is something about the human psyche that loves a good monster story, and by using the steps that are named above they have been created whole cloth and aimed at untold ethnicities of people. We are as a nation geared toward dismissing these tactics when they are directed at our fellow human beings, except for a small minority of bigots. Yet we do not recognize them when they are directed through animals at the people who own them. The very people who would decry bigotry directed at their fellow humans are among the first to spout that same bigotry towards dogs, and their owners. They think nothing of parroting the “pit bull†myths.

Dogs are as individual within their respective breeds, as are we human beings within our ethnicity. It would be impossible for any one dog breeder to make the exact same dog time, after time. Yet we are supposed to believe that all breeders can replicate a monster at will? That is the big lie. Dr. Frankenstein was only able to create one monster in the fable by Mary Shelley, and it killed him. If the big lie concerning “pit bulls†were true, wouldn’t the U.S. government snatch up these “monster†breeders to teach them how to make military dogs? In the myth, only very stupid, drug dealing, knuckle dragging dregs would own “pit bullsâ€, yet they are also brilliant geneticists who can at will create these “monsters†of mythical proportion that no other dog breeders are capable of creating.

Legislators pass laws that are based upon myth instead of addressing the problem of irresponsible dog owners. Banning mythical beasties will not make our communities safer. Responsible Dog Owners has devised a set of Model Dog Owner Regulations that address the dog owner rather than the dog. It is available upon request. Our laws in the United States of America must be written to control human behaviors. When our lawmakers attempt to define animal behaviors, and to criminalize those behaviors, they have lost touch with the very spirit of the law. No animal will ever be cognizant of any law that has ever been, or will ever be written, nor will an animal ever have the capacity to function responsibly to any law.

Cherie Graves, chairwoman

Responsible Dog Owners of the Western States

P.O. Box 1406

Newport, WA 99156

http://rdows.wordpress.com/2007/11/03/pit-...ng-the-big-lie/

So Cherie is saying because some morons get some kind of sick kick out of dog fighting, it shouldn't have been made illegal?

As far as I'm concerned, there's no excuse for keeping animal abuse legal. Not even it being "regulated and sanctioned".

The HSUS has a statement on "dangerous dogs" here:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_...erous_dogs.html - they are certainly not portraying the pitbull as a "monster".

Click on the link to read it all, but just to quote the first bit of the statement:

The Humane Society of the United States offers the following position regarding breed-specific policies.

The HSUS opposes legislation aimed at eradicating or strictly regulating dogs based solely on their breed for a number of reasons. Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) is a common first approach that many communities take. Thankfully, once research is conducted most community leaders correctly realize that BSL won't solve the problems they face with dangerous dogs.

If you google you can also find details of where the HSUS has *opposed* the call for pitbull bans in certain areas.

Sounds rather like Cherie is just not a fan of the HSUS.

I don't read it like that but maybe I am missing something??

How did you read this bit?

Today's big lie in the United States concerns a mythical monster dog that was created by the Humane Society of the United States in order to line their pockets by stopping dog fighting. At the time dog fighting was legal in the late 1970's. Dog fighting was dying out due to a lack of interest. It was legal, regulated and sanctioned until the HSUS worked so dilligently to have dog fighting made illegal. Today dogfighting, being illegal, is bigger, and bloodier than ever it was when legal. It is no longer governed by rules, and regulations nor is it operated under sanctions. The dogs are not revered as of old, they are simply fodder for the machine.

HSUS has a very good publicity department that feeds disinformation to the sensationalistic media. To one who takes notice, in articles about "pit bulls" the term may appear more than two dozen times compared to articles about other dogs whose identification may only be mentioned once, if at all.

There is no such breed of dog that is recognized, or registered by any dog registry as "pit bull". Yet under the guise of banning this mythical monster there are nearly eighty breeds of dogs that are restricted, or prohibited from ownership in venues throughout the USA. (See http://www.povn.com/rdows)

She's accused the HSUS of creating a "mythical monster" in the pitbull and seems to imply (as I am reading it) that the HSUS campaigned to stop dogfighting to somehow gain money? Yet the HSUS statements contradict that claim entirely? :unsure: She seems to have a very bizarre view of the HSUS in relation to pitbull types?

Am I missing something?

I can see they have changed their tunes a couple of times:

Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Humane Society changes tune; now supports mandatory pit bull sterilization

Setting Aside Semantics: Not Killing Pets Must Be Our Goal

Wayne Pacelle, the president of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), still tap dances around backing breed specific legislation. But in this recent blog post, he acknowledges the profound issue at stake, and takes a stance on mandatory spaying and neutering of pit bulls.

"There are other types of challenges. There are too many pit bulls being bred, mistreated and discarded in this country. Many urban shelters are packed with them, with pit bulls, in some communities, accounting for as many as 70 percent of all dogs in the shelters. Many people who want to provide a loving home won't consider these animals. And many people who want a dog as a weapon or a fighting animal do want them. This dynamic does not lend itself to an easy solution, and that's why The HSUS has been advocating mandatory spaying and neutering of pit bulls in our communities."

This is a step in the right direction. The fundamental goal behind breed specific legislation is to reduce breed population, whereby benefiting shelters, communities and the breed. According to recent numbers, US shelters kill about 1.4 million dogs per year, 750,000 of these dogs are pit bulls and their mixes. This is highly lopsided, given that pit bulls only make up about 5% of the US dog population.

http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/2007/11/human...s-tune-now.html

I read it twice and maybe I am missing it because it's not in my mother tongue but I thought it sounded ok but I focussed on the latter part:

Dogs are as individual within their respective breeds, as are we human beings within our ethnicity. It would be impossible for any one dog breeder to make the exact same dog time, after time. Yet we are supposed to believe that all breeders can replicate a monster at will? That is the big lie. Dr. Frankenstein was only able to create one monster in the fable by Mary Shelley, and it killed him. If the big lie concerning “pit bulls†were true, wouldn’t the U.S. government snatch up these “monster†breeders to teach them how to make military dogs? In the myth, only very stupid, drug dealing, knuckle dragging dregs would own “pit bullsâ€, yet they are also brilliant geneticists who can at will create these “monsters†of mythical proportion that no other dog breeders are capable of creating.

Legislators pass laws that are based upon myth instead of addressing the problem of irresponsible dog owners. Banning mythical beasties will not make our communities safer. Responsible Dog Owners has devised a set of Model Dog Owner Regulations that address the dog owner rather than the dog. It is available upon request. Our laws in the United States of America must be written to control human behaviors. When our lawmakers attempt to define animal behaviors, and to criminalize those behaviors, they have lost touch with the very spirit of the law. No animal will ever be cognizant of any law that has ever been, or will ever be written, nor will an animal ever have the capacity to function responsibly to any law.

It was her second paragraphy, seemingly criticising the HSUS's support of making dogfighting illegal that concerned me!

I thought that too :unsure: after reading that bit I really thought she was going to say that dog fighters were actually nice people that cared for their dogs :wacko: .........obviously she didn't but I was a bit confuddled as to where she was going with it.