UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Needed

Jessy

Hi there.

I'm looking for some advice as i amunsure what to do for the best.

2 weeks ago Axle (4 yr old Dalmatian) split ope the end of his tail. Vet sedated him and clipped it, inspected, bandaged it and put him in a cone collar, i was told on the phone he may need to have the end remmved (1/3rd to 1/2) This freaked me out at the time as i love his tail, and the vet picked up on that. He has been back to the vets twice to check progress - we keep having to redress it as he wags it off or if bored and determined can just about reach it to chew it!

At the beginnning they were concerned about the blood supply to the end although now feel it is better than it was. It is bandaged with a syringe case on the end to protect it, it is still leaking serous fluid and bleeding if he gets the bandage off and hits it on anything.

We have been given an estimated healing time of 4-6 weeks.

I have now come to terms with the prospect of amputation, and possibly think it might be best - i am unsure whether i think it is best for him to try to get it to heal or to push towards surgery, but i also think i might feel that way because at the moment he is very hard work as the collar and bandage is making him miserable i think.

Opinions please!

Jessy

(sorry for long post)

His collar is a 30cm one, which is bigger than reccommended for his breed, he has a way of pushing it against the floor to force it back enough so that he can reach the end of his tail. A bigger one would be too much bigger round his neck and i think he would still be able to do it. He only attempts to chew the bandage when we are home and not with him (such as in the garden or in bed!)

I'll see if i can get a bigger one though!

Try exchanging the heavier tail covers like a syringe for a piece of pipe lagging. the grey foam stuff you can get in all DIY stores. Its no where near as heavy on the tail, cushions it when dog wags and easy to get on and off for re dressing. you can actually tape one end to his tail and leave the other end open so get some air to it and dry it out unless its really manky too

Try Manuka Honey you will need the 10+, and it will need bandage changed everyday - you can get it from most places now,

on one of the other forums i go on, someone on there - there dog got its tail trapped in the door,

and split it down to the bone, the vet wanted to amputate straight away,

but with daily bandage changes - using the honey and water flushes,

the tail has healed up very well, it did take quite a few weeks for it to heal as he kept knocking it

but it did heal up.

Merlin had to have 6ins of his tail taken off just after I got him, I put a velcro roller on the end of his tail and it worked, it wasn't very nice to try and chew. :biggrin:

He also had a collar on but could still get to his tail, the vet kep putting bigger and bigger ones on but he still managed to get to his tail. With the velcro roller, it was very difficult for him to chew it and the end was left open. :biggrin:

Just to update, i was going to redress today with pipe insulation etc but when we removed the bandage we found the end of his tail not looking good. Axle is in tonight at the vets and is having part of his tail removed tomorrow as the end had started to die off.

Fast healing vibes greatfully recieved.

Jessy

Poor Axle and poor you. I had exactly the same problem with Oscar my first greyhound. We tried desperately to save his tail. First the vet just removed the tip and then a little more - unfortunately both times the tail did not heal and it started to die off. Eventually we agreed to have his tail amputated and it healed very quickly after that. I don't think he was in pain as he seemed pretty much oblivious throughout the ordeal, but he was definately fed up with collars and muzzles. Good luck.

Axle is home now, he has some tail left (about the same amount as a weim or similar) so he still has some wag! He seems a bit bewildered, i think he is still dopey. At least i still have him even if he looks a bit different!

Jessy