UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

All Those Who Live Alone

Kathyw

I lived alone for a few years when the boys were young and it never worried me, we did have 2 dogs however.

When we moved here I woke up one night and 'sensed' someone at the side of the bed looking at me. Managed to convince myself that I was dreaming but then heard that a few years before we brought the house an old man had hung himself from the bannisters!

My initial reaction was that I wanted to move, especially when my sons partners commented that part of the stairs felt colder than the rest and she felt uncomfortable going upstairs. I had noticed that but didnt like to say anything. I ended up saying a few prayers and asking the 'person' to move on and leave us alone. It might sound silly but whilst I was doing it I felt so sad that I started crying but afterwards felt much better and the atsmosphere seemed better as well. My sons partner commented on the difference as well. Even now however one of the dogs will sometimes bark in the middle of the night and stare into a corner of the room, and my OH has said that he has seen something at the door! It has usually been when hes been very stressed or upset and we just put it down either to that or to his late grandmother making sure he is alright.!

Funnily enough OH doesnt like to go to the bottom of the garden where we have a shed, he feels that he is being watched and odd times I have felt uncomfortable there.

I must admit that I wont read spooky books or watch scary films if Im on my own but usually I am fine.

Having the dogs does make me feel safer and in spite of the odd incidents I feel safe in this house.

Edited by colliemad

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be afraid when I first lived alone. I went from living with a big family and lots of pets to living completely alone. One of my biggest fears would be to wake up in the night and find that someone had already got into my room and it would be too late to react - I always had a lock on the bedroom door and a phone in the room. The first dog I had when I left home was a cocker spaniel bitch and then a rottie and since having dogs I've slept like a baby. Until they do the really low growl thing that puts the hairs on the back of your neck up and you wonder what's out there in the dark...

I never go looking either!