UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Calling Any Rspca Inspectors

Ruby1Nic

Hi Folks,

I was wondering whether anyone her is an RSPCA Inspector and would be able to answer some questions for me please. I'll list them below

1. 12 weeks training @ Horsham is followed by 8 weeks training at 2 other centres. Where are these 2 other centres ? Or does their location depend upon where you'd be stationed ?

2. How much 'experience' of working with animals is required ? Does the 'experience' need to be in an official capacity ? eg. dog walking, volunteering at the local RSPCA etc or would 'regular' pet ownership suffice ?

3. "You must be prepared to work anywhere in England and Wales, although personal preferences will be considered" - how likely is it that you wouldn't have to move too far from your home town ? How far are personal preferences considered ?

4. If one needs to consider re-locating, does the RSPCA take into the timescales during which a house sale etc could take ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I can't answer your questions specifically but I know for most jobs where you are working with animals the experience they require will be actually in a working environment (kennels, farms etc) and not just pet ownership. I'd have thought that getting as much experience in a wide a variety of places as possible can only stand you in good stead.

Good luck :flowers:

I remember watching the programme on the TV that they expected one man who had a wife and children to relocate to a really expensive part of the UK and didn't really give him a choice or make any allowances for his situation.I remember being quite shocked at their lack of compassion really.He took the job because he knew if he didn't he'd be finished but it was bizarre as they gave the vacancy nearest him which would have suited him far better to a young single girl.

I remember watching the programme on the TV that they expected one man who had a wife and children to relocate to a really expensive part of the UK and didn't really give him a choice or make any allowances for his situation.I remember being quite shocked at their lack of compassion really.He took the job because he knew if he didn't he'd be finished but it was bizarre as they gave the vacancy nearest him which would have suited him far better to a young single girl.

Thanks for that. TBH, that's what worries me. I am totally settled where we live and although I am prepared to travel to go to my work (as we all are really) I don't relish the thought of having to uproot. I wondered how much they do actually consider people's current domestics. Thanks

hi,

glad about the nature of the post thought we were about to be shot down!!!

im the inspector for anglesey as jackie pointed out (i will kill her later!)

the training is mostly done at hq and they put you up in someones room in a house. The field training is done at two different posts normally one rural and one urban. one of them will be where you will posted to. they put you up for that too. as the application process proceeds you will be sent out with an inspector for a day or two to get a feel for the job. you are best volunteering at a centre as then you will meet lots of inspectors and get a real idea of the pressure of the job and in turn the pressures on the centre. it is a very full on course so be prepared, learn as much about the main welfare laws as possible including the animal welfare act 2006 mainly section 9 and 4. Wildlife and countryside act too. You'll have to do abseiling, long distance walking,courses handling all different sorts of animals including reptiles and there is the euthanasia hurdle to cross, hard as iti is you do need it out in the field when you come across badly injured animals.

As for posting thats the million dollar question, yes they do take into account your current location, family situation and other reasons but it depends on your strengths and weaknesses too. Where do you live? as some areas have more vacancies than others. They give you an allowance for moving and pay some solicitors fees etc i would say on my course it was prob 90% that were happy with there posting.

the job is fantastic, its really full on and i laugh, cry and get angry and frustrated most days but its worth it when you get an animal out of a horrid situation. i get to work with fab people including my group,ilph,vets,police,firebrigade,coast guard and no day is ever the same.

hope that helps or has left you running for the hills :laugh:

sabina

Sabina, thanks very much for replying :flowers:

Mmmm, plenty of food for thought for me in your reply and I'm not running for the hills so that's good aye :laugh:

I've got some bedtime reading to keep me occupied as well.

I'm in Somerset and if I had the choice, as most may say, I really don't want to have to move home.

When you say that you're put up in someone's house - is that someone's actual 'home' or is it a like a campus house belonging to the centre (IUKWIM ?!?!)

I'll investigate the volunteering with my local centre as well.

PS Would you mind if I felt the need to pick your brains again in the future ? I won't keep up the hassle too much - I'm not a stalker honest :unsure: :laugh:

no by all means get in contact at any point.thats how i started as a girl who was in training put her horse out on loan and i taught the girl who loaned her so i had advice on tap.

no you rent a room in someones home, its a kind of weird situtation but all the landlords/ladys are really nice-most work for the rspca in someway or are animal mad too.good luck

have you started to apply yet?its a really long drawn out process and quite stressful!