UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wasp Nest In The Garden

Tzumit

I am absolutely petrified of wasps :( I am like a raving loony if one so much as comes anywhere near me (for some strange reason I am fine if one is near the dogs or children - I am much braver then :bigswod3: ).

Anyway, I looked through the yellow pages after reading that the local council could take up to 3 days to respond and found someone local. He said he would come out tonight. He was here in 20 minutes and it was all sorted within another 15. He took time to explain what he was doing and that the wasps would be lively for a little while, he then went on to explain about picking up the corpses tomorrow so that the dogs do not get at them, just to be on the safe side. I thought that was a nice touch.

OH was going to go out there like Rambo :rambo: with a can of spray when it got dark and the wasp man told him that he probably would have done a good job and killed most of them, however the ones that survived would make another nest near to the old home and OH would find himself doing this on a regular basis - so that is something worth remembering for the future.

We had a nest a few years ago. They were coming in through a gap between the bath waste pipe and the wall and were nesting under the floorboards in our bathroom!

Our man was very nice too. I could not beleive the huge number of wasps that came out of that nest, there were thousands of them. I actually felt quite bad about killing them but the fear of getting stung while having a poo made me do it :laugh:

Did you get a photo of the nest?

I didn't take a photo :( and this morning I am feeling guilty about killing them, but the nest was in a hedge right by the gate where the doglets walk in and out and Kassi was becoming fascinated and I didn't want her stung.

We had bees in the hollow legs of the patio table last year and the beekeeper told us to leave them and they would soon go. Although they were a bit busy at times, they were not a problem and soon moved on.

We had a wasps nest in our shed - we used the door, they used a hole in the wall - so I left them as I read that they would die by January. They did and we haven't had any since. The nest was gorgeous, like a marbled paper balloon but disintegrated once they'd gone.

They're valuable to the environment and good for the garden as they eat lots of soft bodied pests so best left if you can but if you're terrified of them it's a different matter :flowers:

We had bees in a chimney breast once, sort of half way up so that there was no way to get at them. They had to be gassed, I felt terrible about it as well.

I think we've had the same thing.

Every year bout march april time it starts. First you hear buzzing but can't find the source. Then after 20 minutes you find a bumble bee on the carpet underneath the gas fire. I think they come out of the flue. We didn't have a problem until O/H bought a carbon monoxide detector one year and it went black immediately :ohmy:

He took the fire off the wall and the previous owners had completely bricked up the chimney breast, there was a flue but it wasn't even the size of half a house brick and there was so much soot in the chimney that it had blocked it up.

We dug out half a wheelie bin full of soot and then we ripped out the bricks and installed a metal backplate with built-in flue and a gap at the bottom.

I think this is where they come in.

We haven't had them this year, which is a relief as we were getting about 3-4 bees a day in the back room and kitchen and they used to get quite angry and smash against the kitchen light and then buzz really loudly and divebomb you :unsure:

We have wasps every year in our attic. They have never bothered us or come down into the house so we leave them be and clear up every winter.

We have about a dozen starling and sparrow nests to remove every year as well, I'm more bothered by them as they all seem to wear clogs and have very early morning parties :laugh:

I didn't mind the bees when they came and went through the chimney, but one morning they all decided to come out of a vent instead, hoping to find the window open, but it was closed. I woke up and found my bedroom window was black with bees, all complaining loudly that the window was shut!

I like nature, but not when it moves in force into my bedroom.