UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

40 Things To Do When You're 40

laura g

could have sworn I's started this topic before but perhaps not - or did someone else? Certainly the brain cells are decreasing in their thousands as the birthday approaches!

Right. I'm 40 later in the year. Life has been a bit of a repetitive, turgid swamp for a good few years. So shakeup time. I've sort of started a list: 40 things to do at 40.

Plenty of categories to choose from. Cheap / easy / cheap and easy / expensive / insane and dangerous / expensive, insane and dangerous / cheap insane and dangerous etc etc etc etc etc

What would you do? Or have done?

ps: might be a prize for the most inspirational and / or shocking!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get surfing and/or scuba diving lessons then go on an amazing holiday and utilise your new skills :)

Volunteer for one of the Green Volunteers holidays - go and do something like work with Orangutans or one of the projects used to be spending a couple of weeks monitoring Przevalski's horses, it involved being on horseback during the day and setting up camp wherever at night time, it was with local people. There's loads of things involving whales, dolphins, birds, wolves etc. It would be in the expensive range of things - depending where you go and what you do. There's UK based projects.

:flowers: :flowers:

Edited by Rudi

Oooh I forgot the midlife crisis.

Buy a business with your husband, a zillion miles away from anyone you know. Work 7 days a week together and then wonder why it's not helping your relationship and your social life

This may not help you in your 40s but it could set the ground work for a very nice 50s :laugh:

Weellll my big plan for my 40th (next april :ohmy: ) was to go horse riding in Mongolia...but now I've had to remortage the house just to buy a new car and finish the bloody renovations, it's looking pretty unlikely I can afford it.........unless you'd like to come with me and pay too!!!! :mellow: :laugh: :laugh:

How about taking up riding again? I know you used to love it so go for it....it's what I did just after my 30th and now look, I'm skint, always busy rushing around but so totally contented and happy when I'm with him. :wub: :wub:

Excellent stuff so far. And interestingly enough stuff i'd already been thinking about. So great minds and all that.

BMAK (before marriage and kids) I was a qualified BSAC diver. Always wanted to dive Scapa Flow... so that's on the list.

Right behind getting fit enough not to look like Mrs Blobby in a dry suit!! And if I'm getting fit, number two on the list is western riding -have been inspired by the fact that we now live on a quarter horse stud farm!!!

Dont fancy working with orangutangs. Like carrying coals to newcastle after living with my kids / oh!! If I could go anywhere in the world it'd be the Galapagos Islands.

Love the tattoo idea. Would really like a stylised hare. OH would had an apoplectic fit. So that's number 10 out of the way too!

I got my ears pierced on my 40th in January :) I am also having a self-inflicted mid-life crisis involving a beach hut :wacko: :rolleyes:

More info needed! Buying one? Playing out fantasties involving Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall in one? Building one? What are we talking here?

I am also learning to horse ride so that I can canter on the beach :)

Oooh you can have a go at Jacky's Kane. Just watch you dont fall off him like everyone else seems to!!

Buy a business with your husband, a zillion miles away from anyone you know. Work 7 days a week together and then wonder why it's not helping your relationship and your social life

sorry. done that already!!!

much better relationship now the business has gone and he spends two weeks of every month in dubai!!!!!

More info needed! Buying one? Playing out fantasties involving Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall in one? Building one? What are we talking here?

Oooh you can have a go at Jacky's Kane. Just watch you dont fall off him like everyone else seems to!!

You obviously don't spend much time in RMF :laugh: I have bought a tiny summerhouse for my garden to satisfy my beach hut craving :rolleyes: :laugh: The only fantasy being played out in it is having somewhere peaceful to drink coffee :laugh:

I have seen Sandra's bruises!! I will never be brave enough to ride Kane!!

I did a list in Feb 2002 - it was things to do in the next 10 years:

Swim with dolphins - yes

Leave job - yes

Have ears pierced - no

Buy a smart car - yes

Get loads of old 60's music - yes

Visit Eden Project - yes

Walk the coastal path of UK - no

redesign garden - yes

Get another Spinone - yes x 2

climb a mountain - no

have wonderful new job with lots of money and little work - what do you think LOL

take advanced mortoring test - no

Do an alternative therapy course - no

swim 10 lengths front crawl without stopping - no

learn to sing - no

Visit Harrods - no

Go to Disney/world /land - no

Still time to do them though and maybe add some others

There's also a few things I didn't plan:

Became a grandmother

Went whale and dolphin watching

Went off roading in the desert

Rode a camel

Had dinner at the House of Commons

Flew in a helicopter

Some cheap, some expensive, some mildly dangerous.

You obviously don't spend much time in RMF :laugh: I have bought a tiny summerhouse for my garden to satisfy my beach hut craving :rolleyes: :laugh: The only fantasy being played out in it is having somewhere peaceful to drink coffee :laugh:

:laugh: Honestly he's fine!!! It's perfectly safe on the beach...the sea makes a really soft landing!!! :laugh:

My mum has a summerhouse too, her's is painted white and blue stripes (like a beach hut) and has it's own little patio area where she has a little table and chairs. The dogs aren't allowed in it and neither is dad!! :laugh: She has a drinks area with a mini-fridge which holds her Gordons and Tonic!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Blimey no. darent do RMF it's like the land that time forgot - go in for 'a quick look only' and you lose the day!

Kane is fab. We could staple you on or something?!