UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Retraining As A Dog Groomer.....

Tempest

Basically I'm after a career change and have been looking at the option of training as a dog groomer :rolleyes:

I've got no experience whatsoever in the field (coming from a teaching background :laugh: ) so I really would be starting as a novice.

Basically I'm after some advice on how to go about training if you're starting from scratch :rolleyes:

One issue that seems to be hampering me slightly is that I've previously had a back injury and while I'm fine and fit and active I do tend to avoid lifting as this can aggreviate things. Obviously I thought this could cause a problem when it comes to lifting dogs on and off of the grooming table, particularly any larger breeds, and wondered if any more experienced peeps could give me an idea of whether this would be a major issue?

I've had a look at things like hydraulic tables and baths with ramps to them but wasn't sure how feasable these would be as an option :unsure:

I've had a chat with bonniebird from here and she's given me some fab advice too, it's just such a massive decision really :ohmy:

Ive recently been on a grooming course. It was v enjoyable and manual but the more you do it the easier it becomes. As you said there are hydraulic tables and baths - although these are quite expensive if first setting out. What Id recommend is maybe doing some work experience with a grooming salon and get a feel for it. Only then wll you know if its the career for you.

That's the tricky part - in that as I'm employed full time at the moment it kinda makes work experience and the like a bit tricky really.

I've seen that some training places offer 'taster days' so that might be an option?

I suffered with my back. As part of your training you will be shown how to lift, also electric tables are great. I had mine set up so that onceit was fully up the dog could walk off the table & into the bath so no lifting at all. It is a very rewarding job, no two days the same! There are some very good courses at agricultural colleges that dont cost the earth & give you a good insight into grooming.

Some groomers are open on Saturdays. I work full time and I spend some Saturdays gaining experience at my friends grooming parlour. Taster courses are another way to gain experience although that way you do end up having to pay. There is one local to me that offers taster courses for those considering going on a course and another for those who have completed a course but would like a little bit more practise before they set up on their own so all areas are pretty much covered.

Oooh that's a good idea - sorting it out so that the dog walks from the table straight into the bath!!

I had thought of speaking to some local grooming parlours but figured they wouldn't be too keen on giving me experience as they'd guest that ultimately I'd be the competition :laugh:

A few of my friends are groomers. Some are mobile and go to the clients' homes and one has the dogs come to hers. Then there are the local mobile people who have the vans with the dog wash inside. I think that looking to see how saturated your area is with groomers and which National companies etc. cover it is a good start.

Apart from newspaper adverts, a lot of the business seems to be through word of mouth and I have known one friend get grief of another groomer who thought she should be working in a different area to her. There's obviously going to be loyalty issues with getting new clients but I think that if you're good and offer a service that's wanted then that'll speak for itself!

My friend did suffer with her back when doing standard poo's and the like and so she limited the number she would do per day according to what breeds they were but then she only used a table for the small dogs so didn't have the manual assistance of hydraulics!

I had grief off someone on my local freecycle as i asked if anyone had any spare brushes etc as i was doing a grooming course. She informed me there were already plenty of groomers in this area and they didnt need another :rolleyes: Lots will welcome new comers whilst others fear we are only out to steal their clients. If you're good at what you do it will pass by word of mouth on your merit alone not client poaching.

I have to agree that with a bad back you will have to limit yourself to smaller breeds. when i rebuilt my grooming room, i bought the groomers hydraulic tables, an electric bath, proper slings and over head bars etc and still there are days when a big dog just wont stand or get in the bath and no amount of coaxing will cut it. Today i got to lift a full size newfie into the bath for example. One of my groomers back is shot from years of standing over dogs grooming and there was no way today she could have managed alone.

The cost of this kind of equiptment is painfully expensive too and good clippers and blades dont come cheap.

sorry to be the voice of woe but its a hell of a lot more expensive to set up than people imagine and its a physically demanding job

Thanks Helly - you're not the voice of doom at all - I've got to be realistic after all :rolleyes:

I think I'd pretty much decided that if I did go for it I really would only do small breeds as I think that would be a lot more manageable.

The main thing is that I don't want to spend lots of money on a course and setting up and then realise it's too physically challenging on a day to day basis as I'd have quit my permanent job and then be in trouble :unsure:

Having said that I'm at a pc all day and I'm sure that's no good for my back/posture long term either and I get loads of headaches from being on the screen all day and lots of tension in my neck so it's swings and roundabouts really :unsure:

My course in total cost me about £250 . Im intending to do a bit here and there (evenings and weekends) and work full time to build up a client base before I attept to go into it permanently.

I dont think i will be doing larger breeds due to my stature. Im only 5ft

Edited by lil_angel