UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Car Booters

reds

Basically we've just had our stuff returned from storage and there are about 20 boxes I now need to clear out! It's mainly my old childhood stuff so games and books from the '80s, Etch a sketch, Enid Blyton....... As well as loads of clothes that are conveniently now all cleaned!

Would stuff like that sell at a car boot or would I be wasting my time? Maybe advertise boxes of it in the free paper ad's instead?

Need the money so can't really donate it all as otherwise would do :(.

Thank you :flowers:

Take plenty of carrier bags if you can as lots of buyers dont tend to have them. You can put prices on your stuff beforehand unless you want to repeat the price to people every 2 seconds and beware of those who try to haggle to a ridiculous price by saying your item isn't worth much etc, if its rubbish they wouldn't be after it :D Keep anything of value close by so it doesn't walk!! Car boots are great fun just make sure you dont fill the car up with bargins from other peoples stalls :laugh:

If anything is rare etc it might be worth looking at ebay to sell it.

Edited by collies r best

Definately have someone with you so you can have loo breaks - normally as soon as you arrive you will want one! :laugh: I washed and ironed all the clothes and displayed them all neatly, I was subsequently told by an expert that it was all too neat and people like to have a good old rummage so if it looks too good people are less inclined to sift through. Another trick I was taught was if there are two or more of you, every so often get one person to stand on the other side of your table and shuffle stuff - for some reason if people see one person standing at a stall others gather. Its a trick that really does work.

And like someone else has said - have a haggle, but don't go too low, if they are asking they are possibly interested. Even if you have something up for a pound people will always say "50p?" OH always replies "no mate, it's a pound." If you go to a big car boot you normally get the first footers coming round in droves trying to see what you are getting out of your car so don't get flustered at this point even though it can be a bit intimadating on your first go.

Most of all take loads of change, carrier bags, something to drink and have fun!

I've just looked on ebay (I'm doing work avoidance :biggrin:) and found this guide to Enid Blyton books/first editions etc that might be useful, just in case you have any hidden treasures among yours.

Linky

funny jules saying that. as a bookdealer (and with no chance of being at your bootfair) my advice is just check what you have there. Very little value in 80's enid blyton but some, even paperbacks, from that time are highly collectable.

As others have said 'Beware The First Footers'. Plan your table and unload one box at a time from the car (closing the car after each box), that way they can't rifle through until you're ready for them. Work out what you want for each item (price labels are great). Decide on a time that you'll drop your prices and stick to it, even if it's tempting to drop them earlier. But above all - Have Fun!!