UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Change Of Remedies For Arthritis

phoenix21

not sure what to do....previously molly was on denes G.L.Mussel but after finding it was cheaper at H & Barratt i changed to them and also added synflex (been on it a week). The capsules from H AND B are 500mg each and she previously had 3 capsules of the denes ones at 200mg each (600mg). Her back legs have been worse this week and i dont know wether it is due to the v.cold weather we have had this week or because i have changed her medcines around. the Denes g.l.mussel had glucosamine in it as well but i thought the synflex that i give her now should compensate for that. do you think i should up the green lipped mussel to two capsules (so 1000mg) or is this way too much for a labrador?

i think it could be due to the cold weather but just wondering if i should go back to the denes stuff or persevere with the other and wait for the synflex to kick in? (not sure how long it takes)

Edited by phoenix21

I generally think H&B stuff is great, but I did try one of mine on some MSM from H&B a few years ago and I saw her stiffness deteriorate too. I don't think it was coincidence because once I realised I went back to what she'd had previously and she got better again.

It might just be the cold weather making things worse. Lily is always worse when it's cold and also when the ground is very hard (frozen solid!) like it is now.

Does the Synflex definitely give enough glucosamine do you think? Does it also have chondroitin in it? Chondroitin is meant to help increase the effectiveness of the glucosamine.

Sorry - that was more questions than answers!

she does seem a lot better now i think it was the cold weather or me being paranoid. compared to last year though she has faired so well through this winter, last winter my mum thought it would be molly's last.. after introducing g.l.mussel to her diet and now synflex she is like a new dog, with a bit of weight off her as well, she even ran after a rabbit with phoenix today!!! so i think she is feeling fine but sometimes she forgets her back legs are dodgy and ends up falling over :(

i'll keep going on what shes on for now then think about what else to add to her diet when she gets worse....shes so much better than when she was on metacam from the vets last summer.

I've not tried this myself, but read recently of a lady who used Boswellia Resin extract vegetable capsules(by Solgar) on her dog when he had arthritis. He was 12 when he started on them, and lived to 17, apparently still very active.

That's a new one to me, Maria, thanks for that :) There are so many remedies for arthritis out there when you start looking!

The latest one I was reading about is Apple Cider Vinegar - again, supposed to be very effective.

• 2 weeks later...

My 15 year old collie was on Glucosmine, Chondriotin and MSM tablets for arthritis, but we made the decision at the beginning of the year to put her on Metacam. I think that sometimes there comes a point when a stronger medication is needed. I really didn't want to try veterinary medication but she is so much better (she had started getting thickening of joints in the toes, which have now gone down).

Basically, you know your dog better than anyone :) , so you'll know if more is needed. Charm (my collie) told us that G, C & MSM wasn't enough anymore, and I think she has done really well considering her age (will be 16 in May) :wub: .