UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please, Do You Think This Would Work

yena

As you probably all know Tillee is losing her sight. My garden is very overgrown with loads of flowers, bushes and trees. At the top end I have an area, were I've been putting flower pots. I was talking with OH the other day and saying about moving all the pots and flowers in this area and putting a low fence down, so Tillee can walk around without been scared of walking into things. Unfortunately, the apple blossom tree will have to stay. Do you think it would work and do you think it's a good idea. :unsure:

Not easy to see, but the area is just behind Yena and is probably 8x6, although it doesn't look it on the pic. :)

Picture092.jpg

Personally I'd leave things as she's always known them :GroupHug: If there's real danger obviously that's different but you wouldn't have danger in your garden anway! They adapt so well, they have so many senses. Wish you could come here and visit Rory Por!

As someone with a partically sighted clumpsy oaf of a horse I agree with Lesley, leave things as they are!! Kane had just got used to where the water bucket and feed baskets were in his stable and then someone (unknown to me) moved them and we had a few swear words and tantrums!!!! :laugh: :rolleyes: (And thats just with one eye not working!! )

Thanks reds, at the moment Tillee only goes in the top left hand corner, which is about 18" square, if that and if she bangs her nose, she gets up. I thought having that bit more space might get her to wander around more. At the caravan, she got more room and will wander around on the grass, which is why I was wondering about making her more room at home.

Our foster has very poor sight and has adapted really well to our rather tricky layout, he did have quite a few bumps and trips along the way though. He now get himself down several steps along the decking and down another couple of steps into the garden where he wanders at will. I think we found it more upsetting than he did.

I am sure that Tillee will find her way but if you think that it would help her to create a "safe" area and she would use it then I don't see why you shouldn't. I'm sure that it will make you feel better to have done something for her if nothing else. :GroupHug:

Thanks everybody for the replies :flowers:

With Max I tend to keep the middle bit of my garden clear and just put things down the side wherever I can. He soon gets used to any changes, but unless anything is in the way I would leave stuff as it is :flowers:

That's the thing, you can't see very well in the pic, but there is loads of stuff in the way. She could walk around them, but once she bumps into them, she just goes back inside. I so want to make things just that little bit easier for her in the garden, so at least she might sit out like she used to do before. Inside, :rolleyes: well with all the mess the lads leave around and everything else, she's really does quite well, and is finding her feet around. Even managing to get herself upstairs, although coming down if she's not careful, she falls. The other day, she went from the top almost to the bottom, :ohmy: my heart was in my mouth, when I saw the legs and bum flying down the steps. To reassure her, I just picked her up and did the 'step down' 'good' 'step down' until she got to the bottom. :)

I think it would be nice for her to have more space outside and don't see the harm in moving some stuff out of the way so she has more room to find her feet in, especially if bumping into things is putting her off exploring the garden :flowers: If you do move things, take her out on a lead and show her around so she feels safe with you next to her.

Thanks again everybody and I can understand what people are saying about not moving things out of the way. So what do you think to me moving the pots out of the way, and not putting the fence up. Than she might go wandering just that little bit further, when she gets a bit more confidence. :unsure:

Move things to clear space, so have pots etc around the edge. Dogs with sight problems will often "map" ie wander around, bump into things but at the same time, be working out where everything is and how much room they have. Bumpy used to do it when he went anywhere new. After a few times, he'd remember where doors were, steps, furniture etc.

And in case you missed my previous post, please get a gate for the stairs or better still, discourage her from going up there. Last thing you want is her to fall and break her neck.

That's the thing, you can't see very well in the pic, but there is loads of stuff in the way. She could walk around them, but once she bumps into them, she just goes back inside. I so want to make things just that little bit easier for her in the garden, so at least she might sit out like she used to do before.

In that case, I'd move everything that's in the middle of the garden and put it all around the sides so she feels more confident about going out. I wouldn't bother with a fence though, there's no reason she shouldn't have as much freedom as the others provided there is no danger :flowers:

I know that this is going to sound really balmy ...

I have one dog that is deaf and blind, one half blind in only one eye and one that is blind in one and can only see a tiny amount in the other ... phew that took some writing !

Anyway, what was I saying (?) oh yes this is the daft bit ...

With all of them I took them around the garden on a very short lead with me on my hands and knees and showed them where things were (just a little at a time going a little bit further everytime - it took only few times of looking like an idiot :rolleyes: until they got the hang of it.

I also did the same with the stairs by having them between my legs up and down

I know. I know - I did say it was crazy but it has worked for all of mine and they now bomb about the house and garden without a care, even the completely deaf and blind one :D