UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Really Really Horrid Walk Today.......

Tempest

Just got back from a walk with a friend and had a horrid experience :unsure: Was really looking forward to today's walk as it's only Jess' second day out of kennels so I knew she'd love meeting up with her friend Ash and having a good run around :rolleyes:

We were walking around the lake and noticed a couple with 5 dogs - 3 beagles, a GSD and a lab and decided to give them a wide birth as Ash doesn't like GSDs after being previously attacked twice by one :(

Anway they were the opposite side of the lake to us and a fair way off when I heard Lorraine screaming and basically the GSD had run the whole way around the lake to come up behind us and piled in teeth bared growling and snapping at Ash :ohmy: At this point the owners were the other side of the lake calling their dog (who ignored them basically).

Lorraine managed to grab Ash's collar thank god otherwise I think there would have been a full on fight. Ash was basically reacting back and at this point Jess was just getting out of the water and hadn't quite realised what had happened I don't think and wanted to say hello to the GSD :ohmy: Thankfully I managed to grab her and it had a pop at her and then went back to have a go at Ash.

Thankfully it did eventually recall and ran back to the owners but I was absolutely petrified. I was just so bloomin' annoyed that the dog was even offlead. It had made a massive detour to even get to us and it was clear that it was coming over to have a go - there was no way the signals could have been mistaken.

We met a lady with a friendly little terrier straight afterwards and both our two were fine with him but I always worry how these kind of events can effect dogs physcologically :err: I *think* that hopefully Jess was pretty unaware of what happened - although she did seem a bit worried as to why Ash was reacting in the way that he did :unsure:

I think it's probably the first time in my life that I've been genuinely frightened of a dog. This was a big dog and it was really baring its teeth and having a go and I knew we were on our own to sort the situation out as the owners could never have got to us in time. Thankfully I don't think it made contact with either of our two dogs so it was all noise and teeth but I was genuinely very scared :(

Not a good walk at all :mecry:

:GroupHug:

Problem with lakes is that unless very large the dogs can easily scope round with their eyes and see 'their runway' to get to the other side.

Does always seem to be that owners of dogs who act like this only seem to treat it as an 'issue' when it's their dog that's at risk, i.e. if another reacts back even worse. It could be that the GSD 'only' runs up and threatens as opposed to actually going in for an attack but that's obviously by the by and the owners really need to be taking it much more seriously especially in the legislation age re: dogs at the mo.

Don't suppose you know any sociable GSD's you could arrange a meet with?

:GroupHug: from me and my lot, hopefully Jess and Ash won't be badly affected by this.

I can't fathom why anyone would let their dog behave like that - not just for the sake of other people's dogs but for their own, they're risking being reported and having problems with the law. Especially a breed that already has a bad name. Today a GSD ran up to Wilbur my old Lab and grabbed him by the scruff, trying to pin him down. Luckily Wilbur wasn't hurt and didn't react, but I did mention to the girl walking it that if it'd done that to Connie or Ria they would've defended themselves and there would have been a fight. I dread to think what would happen if a dog that size went for Roxy, at her age and health I don't know if she could cope with it.

Folk are hard to understand really. :unsure: My gsd is dog aggressive, why, dont really know, but he is a rescue and has been attacked by 2 mad staffies,think he gets in first now. So consequently he doesnt go off lead unless there is no chance he can get to another dog. We scout the horizons before letting him off. He has been taught recall but in the event of another dog being present and him off lead I dont know how reliable he would be, so better safe than sorry. We walk past other dogs, I try to keep him on a loose lead and reward him when he has passed the dog with no problems, either with a toy tug or a treat. The only time he fails now is if the other dog is also dog aggressive and has a go first, I can normally get him to ignore it though by distraction tactics with a toy I always carry.

He is 4 now, I dont feel we will ever change him, he is wonderful with people and kids, but we take responsibility and positively reward when he does well. He knows :rolleyes: if he has gone passed the dog without raising a hackle he will look to me for his treat.

The main problem I have is with silly folk who have dogs off leads running wild because they are not dog aggressive, they run up to us despite telling the owners that he doesnt like dogs, oh they reply, mine is ok... I just want to scream, mines not, thats why he is on a lead, take your dog away, but I normally try to be polite.

The dog owners you met today have no considertion for others and really are putting their dog at risk