UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Puisin

Lainey

We started to notice that puisin had a few thin patches of coat - throat undercarriage and the inside of her back legs. Occasionally her skin would look a bit pinker than normal, so we started to think that she may have a mild allergy to something.

I checked the fabric detergent and other household cleaners, and nothing changed. Group discussions and photographs threw up a few ideas and we then narrowed it to a possible grass allergy as she was particularly pink on a day when many of the neighbours were cutting their grass- even I was sneezing a lot. So I tried piriton but it didn't seem to make any difference and the next day she was normal. I tried her on the grass yesterday but she didn't react to it at all.

She has been eating plenty of good preservative free food, and has put weight on nicely- her bowels and bladder appear to be working extremely well and she is happy. She does sleep a lot though, we put this down to travelling and the stress of moving, but even though she has developed muscle and her energy had increased, she still sleeps quite a bit.

Anyway- a week ago she started to moult, she has been groomed about 3 times a week since she got here, but she never lost any hair and I was quite surprised at how much I got out of her. She has continued to moult and started to get a definite thinning of her hair (not bald), on both thighs and then her sides, we started to look at products that would help. I was given a link to http://www.aromesse.com/indexcan.htm, it looked very promising so I ordered the Dermacton spray and the Ultrasalve ointment, It didn't seem to be encouraging any spectacular hair re-growth, but she has only had 3 days on it. I also got her some herbal condition tincture to put in her food- she has only had it twice so far. :wacko:

Anyway, I decided yesterday to take her to the vet, as I was suspecting that she may have hypothyroidism or some other medical reason that may be causing it. He said it looked like possible mange and did a couple of skin scrapings. When he came back, he said she had Demodectic mange- but he said it was unusual because normally there are lots of them in the scrapings, but he could only find one. I don't know if the Dermacton and Ultrasalve have actually helped it or not; but she doesn't look like a mangy dog- not the ones I've seen pictures of anyway, and people who have had experience with it also assumed it was allergy related and ruled out mange- so I can tell you that it came as quite a shock to us all :ohmy: her skin is lovely and soft and apart from going a bit pink at times it looks perfectly healthy. I was even starting to think I was being paranoid.

Well, £59.40 later we left with our wash and lots of piriton. She has had her 1st bath and is on piriton 3 times a day.

She will have her next bath in 2 weeks and then will be back at the vets for a check up 2 weeks after that.

I have to say what an absolute star she was at the vets, she let him prod/pull and scrape without batting an eyelid, she truly is a darling dog to live with :wub:

Here she is after her bath, playing with her air kong to help distract her

4004.jpg

4003.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping the meds help her feel more comfortable quickly. :wub:

Thats one of the funny things- she hasn't shown any signs of any discomfort at all, she doesn't itch or scratch or show any signs of feeling sore. But we will wait and see how she goes, but there is the possibility that she may need further tests- like i said, it has come as a complete shock for it to be demodectic- but i have never seen a dog who has a mild or early stage of it- i have only seen the really bad cases where the skin has been dry/crusty/bleeding and infected so we are still a bit :wacko: about it all. but i need to be patient and allow time for this treatment to work and take further tests if she needs them.

Has anyone had any experience of early stage demodectic mange? opinions, suggestions and ideas on what to expect would be welcome :flowers:

As I’m sure your all aware Puisin is an EGAR foster dog. Very generously Elaine decided to insure puisin when she offered to foster her and is currently footing the monthly bill for that. Elaine also paid the bill yesterday of £59.40. We hope that if Puisin needs further treatment that this amount already paid by Elaine will be taken as the excess required for the insurance to then cover any further tests she made need. With all of Sarah financial recourses being channelled into the new kennels we desperately need to raise funds to help support Puisin in her foster home. If any one can help in away way in contributing towards this bill of £59.40 it would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you

Alison :flowers:

I have been in regular contact with Melf regarding puisin and sent several photographs across. Melf isn’t convinced it mange. This is the reason I mentioned earlier about “if she needs further test†hopefully if it is mange the course of treatment will sort her out and if it’s not I hope it something and nothing. She is such a sweet girl and has come on in leaps and bounds whilst with Elaine so hopefully this problem can be resolved quickly.

sorry alison didnt realise that melf had already seen pics of her skin :flowers:

No probs, you weren’t to know. Melf says lately she has been having problems with her computer, personally I think she’s blocking me. :laugh: I’m always at her for advise on one thing or another.

No probs, you weren’t to know. Melf says lately she has been having problems with her computer, personally I think she’s blocking me. :laugh: I’m always at her for advise on one thing or another.

her computer has been playing up :laugh: im always on the phone to her as well over various things shes an oracle for information not just dogs :laugh:

She is itchy today :mecry: she has a new bald patch on her neck where she has scratched it. the wash she had says itching is a side effect and i'm making sure she gets her piriton at regular intervals- She is worse than a bloomin cat for tablets- she spits them out whatever i tried hiding them in, so as a last resort i tried pasta tubes with dolmio sauce and hid the tablet inside the tube- and she ate it :) so it looks like i will be cooking 1 little pasta tube 3 times a day :laugh:

I also managed to do a urinalysis last night and she may have a slight infection.

she had a PH of 8 (over 7 usually indicates a UTI)

she had a trace of protein which also indicates towards aa UTI but apparently- if the PH is high it can give a false protein level :wacko:

So i will re test her tonight

Bless, poor girl! Roxy has demodectic mange too (must be a Staffie thing?) brought on by her cushings as she has a lowered immune system. Really keep an eye on her with the baths though, I don't know if you saw the photos I posted of Roxy when she'd had a bad allergic reaction to the aludex? But then she's an awkward dog so you probably won't get that. :rolleyes: Anyway thinking of little Puisin, hope she feels better soon and Roxy sends itchy Staffie hugs.

Bless, poor girl! Roxy has demodectic mange too (must be a Staffie thing?) brought on by her cushings as she has a lowered immune system. Really keep an eye on her with the baths though, I don't know if you saw the photos I posted of Roxy when she'd had a bad allergic reaction to the aludex? But then she's an awkward dog so you probably won't get that. :rolleyes: Anyway thinking of little Puisin, hope she feels better soon and Roxy sends itchy Staffie hugs.

Yes it's Aludex that Puisin's got, and i saw poor Roxy's pictures :mecry: Has her hair started to grow back yet?