UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Puppy Versus Cats

Izzie ia a 14wk old border collie and we've had her 2weeks now. I'm stuck as to how to get her to behave properly with the cats, she has no intention of hurting them she just wants to play but obviously they dont appreciate that. Izzie will chase them if they run and if they sit down she will edge closer and closer to them and will bat them with her paw! The cats have never dealt with a puppy before only more sensible adult dogs and i want t make sure i'm dealing with things correctly or if someone has got better methods. Upstairs is the cats safe zone where Izzie isnt allowed, they do come downstairs and outside regularly and are very wary until they know where she is.At the moment she gets told a sharp 'no' if she tries to chase them and gets praised if she sits and listens to me or sits quietly without hasseling them. I know these things take time but having not had a puppy for donkey's years its all new to me again. So any advice will be appreciated :)

Years ago when we got a dobe puppy, she pestered our Siamese..who turned round and gave her a thick ear! she steered well clear of her and other cats after that, but they ended up very good friends and used to sleep curled up together. Unless your pup is actually hurting the cats I'd leave them to sort it out. If she starts chasing them try to distract her with a toy or a treat..good luck!