UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Flight Socks Don't Fit Me......

Tempest

After my thread about my paranoia about DVTs I went to Boots to get my flight socks and basically they don't fit me :mecry:

They give you calf measure of 14-16" but mine measure 17.5-18" and after speaking to the pharmacist it would do more harm than good to wear ones that are too tight. Apparently you can get them custom made but as I'm leaving Friday night that's not going to happen :(

Both the Boots ones and the Scholl ones have the same measurements :unsure:

I didn't think my calfs were particularly huuuuge either so I'm wondering if there's anything else on the market I could possibly wear/get hold of in time :(

I wouldnt panic too much. I fly 5-6 hours to egypt and back half a dozen times a year and found the flight socks bloody uncomfy. just take time to have a wander in between trolleys going up and down the plane, do your excersises with your ankles and feet and stretches etc and im sure you will be fine. Im overweight, smoke, and have a pill implant and ive made it accross the world several times without incident and all without flight socks :flowers:

I wouldnt panic too much. I fly 5-6 hours to egypt and back half a dozen times a year and found the flight socks bloody uncomfy. just take time to have a wander in between trolleys going up and down the plane, do your excersises with your ankles and feet and stretches etc and im sure you will be fine. Im overweight, smoke, and have a pill implant and ive made it accross the world several times without incident and all without flight socks :flowers:

Helly is right. I used to be an aeromedical nurse and travelled all over the world, flight socks weren't even thought of then and I never had any problems.

After my thread about my paranoia about DVTs I went to Boots to get my flight socks and basically they don't fit me :mecry:

They give you calf measure of 14-16" but mine measure 17.5-18" and after speaking to the pharmacist it would do more harm than good to wear ones that are too tight. Apparently you can get them custom made but as I'm leaving Friday night that's not going to happen :(

Both the Boots ones and the Scholl ones have the same measurements :unsure:

I didn't think my calfs were particularly huuuuge either so I'm wondering if there's anything else on the market I could possibly wear/get hold of in time :(

Can you get to a John Lewis - their socks fit my distinctly unslender calves. In spite of this i don't wear them cos they make me itch. I drink lots of water before and during flight and walk around and do the exercises. I'm probably a bad risk too - overweight and on HRT but I've survived so far.

Don't panic, I used to fly to Japan (18 hours in those days) and back 3 times a year for a period of 7 years and flight socks weren't invented then either, I'm still here to tell the tale and the last time I did the flight was probably 24 years ago.

Another one here who's done a good few flights without probs. Just wriggle your toes and make circles with your feet regularly. I found listening to my walkman - it's a long time ago! - always great coz I tapped away with my feet. Not sure what everyone else thought of my singing though :unsure: :rolleyes: Really, don't worry about it, you'll be fine! Have a great holiday! :cool: