UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bad Back Club

heva

Have had bad back on and off for 2 years now. Osteopath says it is either a facet joint on my L2 or my sacrum. I was signed off for 2 weeks in Jan cos I couldn't stand up straight. Been ok since then, til last week when it went all stiff. Aches when sitting or standing. Lying down is ok.

I find hot water bottles are v good. Am in the process of converting entire allotment into a no dig system (sounds to good to be true if I'm honest but will give it a go).

Nice lovely back wishes to all.

I have arthritis in my lower back and an old whiplash injury - still can't turn my head to the right properly. Cranio sacral osteopath sorted out the worst of it and a magnetic bracelet helps too. Best painkillers - a combination of ibuprofen followed a couple of hours later by Paracodol (paracetamol and codeine). The best thing that I have done is yoga - once the very worst of it had worn off.

The stretching and relaxation has worked wonders for my mobility and flexibility. I do Hatha Yoga it's gentle exercise done at your own level.

I was on Tramadol for 6 months and they did work brilliantly but I did find that I itched a lot once I had taken them and if I ever took them on an empty stomach then I was well spaced out :wacko: ( nice feeling though ). A few weeks ago I was running out so I thought I would see if I could do without them and actually found that after a couple of day's my muscles no longer seemed to cramp so much and though not cured I could manage the pain. This weekend I went for a deep sports massage in the hope that after a few of these I will be problem free. Afterwards and for the whole of the weekend I felt battered and bruised but she did tell me to expect it and she did find some knots in my muscles that she is working on. I wish everyone of you a speedy recovery been there, done that, just about survived.

(btw, while on Tramadol I lost 2 stone, now I'm off it the weight is slowly creeping on again :mecry: )

My main problem was a fractured hip with a trapped nerve, I got to the point where I was on 1000mg of Lyrica a day, completely spaced out and non functional.

I got off the Lyrica, and put up with the pain. I started out with Tramadol, then cocodomol (sp?) then a combination of difene, tramadol and cocodomol along with anti ulcer medication, I had the max of all three medications.

Then I went to a homeopath, and can remember the awful struggle to climb the stairs to her rooms, it took me twenty minutes :(

A month later I was able to take the stairs at normal pace, was off all painkillers, able to walk my dogs, run, and three months later I was playing rugby again.

Since that time (2005/6) I have had to go to my chiro three times, and have taken the relevant remedy three times (twice after going bowling)

I am eternally grateful to my homeopath for helping me. My problem was mainly muscle wastage, and muscle problems which were causing me pain.

Edited by nouggatti

I have had back and joint problems since I was 12. I know that I was suffering with sciatica but my mum told me it was growing pains :rolleyes:

I had a spinal fusion when I was 28 , not a nice experience :ohmy: Keep away from the surgeons knife if you can.

I don't do drugs because of the side effects and was told by the head rheumatologist at my hospital that was a good attitude to have. He also said diet would help and to avoid red meat and dairy. I told him I was vegan and almost got a pat on the back :laugh:

Homeopathy can be very good, also acupunture though it didn't work for me. I take veggie glucosamine and MSM, Udos Oil, Wheatgrass Cocktail and drink lots of water. I also use magnotherapy. I have a magnetic underlay on my bed and wear a Bioflow bracelet and when I have bad flare ups I use a Micro Doctor device which is similar to use as a Tens but gives more long term relief.

If I can remember anything else I will come back :laugh:

I know there is no cure for my problems it is more of a management thing as I have osteoarthritis and it is in my knees, hands and feet also. I had my hip resurfaced 2 years ago and that has been a great success.

:flowers: go on, it cant be as bad as putting up with a bad back. My physio says that sitting at the computer makes you sit round shouldered and with your neck craned forwards which puts pressure on your spine and neck. (I saw you all straighten up!! :laugh: ).x

dam you having a camera in my house!!!! lol

I'm off to physio tonight.......spending the day spaced out on pain killers!!!!!

i remeber years ago when i broke my tail bone i took pain killers went to sleep woke up still in pain thinking it was hours later and took more tablets.......it had only been 10 mins.......brother then had to watch over me........as i was a total space cow boy and screamed at him to get rid of the ginger cat!! (which we dont have) very scary stuff........never understood why people would want to take them for fun

poor cat :laugh:

I have been taking Tramadol every 4 hours and Tramadol, codeine and amitripyline last thing at night but I have not been sleeping very soundly (awake every couple of hours) and last night I was sleep walking so I am going to take just the tramadol until it becomes bearable and then I will stop that as well. I hate taking any drugs. x

I will join in, but just to offer sympathy at the moment. :GroupHug: My bad back pain has almost gone thanks to a fab chiropractor. :)

I still have a very weak back on one side(caused by Saffy pulling on the lead), and now have to be very careful when walking her. Also, I have found out that my joints aren't working so well, especially my pelvis, so am now going to start doing so exercise, yoga or swimming. :rolleyes: I can only recommend making sure that you are sitting correctly at all times and not sitting for too long. Keeping on the move at short intervals where possible certainly helped me. :)