UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Howling Dogs

Roo, Staffie, will be 7yrs in June

Tia,Staffie x Border Terrier, will be 6 in July

Sophie, Springer Spaniel x Border Collie, was 1 in April 08

At approx 4 months old Sophie started to howl when she heard the ice cream van, previous to this Roo and Tia never reacted to it at all but now they join in and the noise is horrendous :unsure:

I tried to distract them using toys and treats and though it works well while I'm at home and in the same room, if I'm upstairs/in bathroom, they start and apparently when I'm out and the ice cream van comes the noise from my dogs can be heard from the bottom of the street :( and Roo is now the instigator not Sophie.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks

Di x

It is because of the pitch of the noise. It sounds like howling to the dog and his instinct is to join in.

It is like one wolf howling and the rest join in.

Short of using ear plugs on him I don't think there is much you can do. Maybe the ice cream man could play another tune.

When the other dogs at agilty start barking, my dog starts howling along with them.

Thanks for your replies :)

I guess I'll just have to live with it and keep my fingers crossed that my neighbours don't complain.

Pity I can't teach them to howl in tune to the ice cream van, I could enter them for Britains got talent :wacko:

Di x