UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Laptop Screen Going White

sanrossscot

I have a Dell Laptop which is a couple of years old (at most) and it has recently started going white for some reason :wacko:

It doesn't seem to make any diff what I'm doing on it or whether it is plugged to the mains or on battery. Sometimes I can get the screen back by moving the screen down to almost closed then back open again other times I have to switch off and on again.

Any ideas? :)

San,

Do you have an external monitor?

If you do, connect that and see if you have the same problem.

If the external monitor is fine then you have a problem possibly with a cable going to the laptop screen.

see here

If you don't have a screen at home could you take the laptop into work and just hook it up to a monitor there?

Is the laptop still in warranty?

It does sound very much like you have a loose cable :flowers:

Hi, the first thing to do is take a backup of all your important files - this won't help fix the problem, but if this is a warning that your laptop if about to break down then this will be something you'll be very pleased you did!

But hopefully this isn't that serious. If you are just talking about a particular window on the screen, i.e. when you have a web page or file open, rather than the entire screen, it sounds like it's just that your computer is slowing down for some reason - are you getting any other problems with it?

Have you installed any new software recently? This could affect the performance of your laptop. It would probably be a good idea to do the standard things of running a virus check and a spyware check to make sure there aren't any issues there.

You may also want to try defragmenting your hard drive incase this is affecting the performance of your laptop.

But most importantly make sure you have a back up of your files - just incase this is something more serious.

It is the whole screen goes white, doesn't matter what I am doing or what programmes are running.

I don't have many files on it thankfully, it's just a mobile Refuge connection :wink: with some photos as well (which have been copied to disc) I will have a fiddle with it this week and see how I get on.

WEll I have the monitor for the desktop I could maybe swap that round.

Not n warranty but if it seems to be a loose connection I may try the options you linked to, thanks :flowers:

You can plug the monitor for the desktop, just plug it into the appropriate connection on your laptop.

As Bryony also says, take a backup of your files too just in case and in case you have a driver problem in windows and need to do a restore.

Can you run the laptop connected to the desktop monitor for a day or two?

If you can and you've no problems with the desktop monitor that will really point to a hardware problem such as a loose cable etc within the laptop

Good luck :flowers: