UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Stripping.

kimthecat

Hi ,

I have a new doglet Gypsy, a Jap Chin, :wub: (photo below) and I'm looking at buying a Mars Coat king but not sure what size blade to get. It says from 6 to 12 for long coats. Does it make much difference what size I get, I've seen an 8 and a 12 for sale on line ?

Ali

100_0085.jpg

As a person owned by a smooth haired hound, I've nothing constructive to add other than maybe PM Lil Angel (Amy) or Hollyhardwick (Sue) who are professional groomers. If you don't know them already, I can personally vouch for the fact that both are extremely approachable and helpful and will provide you with the right advice :flowers:

Do they strip chins? I would have thought their coat was far too soft/fine for stripping.

:blush02: I don't really know. I have an anti- tangle comb and a brush . She's not keen on being groomed so I'm doing little bits at a time, There's such a lot of it and I'm worried the tangles will get out of control. ! :wacko: I need to find a chin forum!

Alison, that would be a good idea. I will do that :wink:

Ali

I think they've probably got coats similar to shih tzu's, my parents has one and were advised to bath him every 2-3 weeks, he also had a proper brush through every day. Shih tzu's have the closest hair to human hair apparently.

This might be helpful

http://www.petgroomer.com/grooming101/bree...panese_chin.htm

The Japanese Chin is a smaller dog with plenty of coat. It has plenty of body and silky firmness to stand out from the body. The breed's coat is so full around the neck it has a mane-like appearance. All the way down to the tail and including the tail, the coat is substantial. Frequent grooming is very helpful with a Japanese Chin. Some pet owners not concerned about maintaining a show quality coat and appearance will have the hair coat clipped shorter for easier maintenance.

Protein-enriched shampoos can add to the luster of the coat and repair damaged hair.

Lightly scissor around the anus area where feces can become entangled in the hair.

MORE GROOMING TIPS FOR PROFESSIONALS

Thinning shears can come in very handy for this breed in neatening the appearance by eliminating straggly hairs or overly heavy areas of coat. You can expect to find stray hairs around the feet on the hind legs and sometimes feet and ankles of the front legs. Also you may find them along the head and tops of the ears.

After the grooming it can take a few days for the natural oils to return to the hair. Use a light spray of coat gloss the return some of the sheen now.

Submitted by Anamaria, "The AKC breed standard is, 'The Japanese Chin is a naturally clean dog. They are easy to bathe and are sometimes referred to as the "wash-and-wear" breed. Their coat seldom mats and they require no special grooming or scissoring.' This breed should never have their hair cut."

My OH's mate has a chin and he said they are like cats and thoroughly groom themselves and they have a very silky coat- he said their coat hardly needs brushing cos they hardly shed anything and it doesnt tangle- the dog looks after its own coat- advice from a groomer would be best bet i think :)

:ohmy: No, you don't strip Chins :)

A good brush and comb will do. Silky coated dogs aren't stripped. Its your terriers/ show Cockers/ Schnauzers/wire haired Gundogs and other breeds mainly. Stripping when done correctly is done by pulling out the topcoat which is rough and wirey, leaving behind a soft undercoat. You would not use a coat king to strip, they cut the hair, this is a false strip. To strip correctly you use finger and thumb or a stripping knife. If not done correctly, you can hurt the dog by pulling too much hair out, or doing it when the coat hasn't blown and not ready or on a dog that hasn't got the right coat for stripping i.e too soft.

Hope this helps

Karen (Dog Groomer) :flowers:

Edited by bonniebird

Sundaygirl , she is gorgeous and a real sweetheart :wub:

Nettie , thanks for looking up the info. her cOat feels so beautifullY soft.

Karen , thankyou for explaining :flowers: I've got muddled with the terminology and in my defence I've always had short haired dogs :laughingsmiley:

I was thinking about thinning her coat especially on her front and thought the mars king would do that.

I had more success grooming her yesterday, i held a bull pizzle so she had to stand to chew it and manages to groom most of her .

I've only had a her a week and she still handshy and anticipates haVing her eyes, nose and coat done, She also wees when she is left, though she is improving, so I dont want to stress her out more than I have to at the moment,

here's a photo of her with my other little dog Dibby , he's a cutie too.

Ali

100_0086.jpg