UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Itchy Scabby Skin

cycas

Mollydog has an area of reddened slightly scabby skin on one thigh. I think it itches a bit (though not 100% sure on that: she could be just pulling the scabs off cos she likes the taste!)

It's definitely not itching badly. The scabs are small, and the area is still hairy, but visibly reddened. Doesn't seem to be causing major discomfort.

Any suggestions?

I'm off to the vet I think, but it looks like one of those slightly borderline small annoying things where vets are often not very helpful, so I'd like to know if anyone else has seen something similar, and what you did about it.

Vet thinks she has scratched herself very slightly on a bramble or something, then made it worse by nibbling at it.

He gave me some piriton, but I didn't have any luck finding aloe vera as everything was closed by the time I'd finished at the vet and got into the town.

(In case you were wondering, vet gave me that 'and you brought her in for THAT?' look when I showed him the rash. I swear it was much redder and angrier looking when I phoned for the appointment....)

I think we've all probably had that look at some point. We got that look when we took Ed in to get them to check his testicles as they didn't look right. We mentioned it at Charliegoo's booster and the vet (and owner of the practice) said to just nip him in and he'll have a quick look. Alas it was a different vet who saw us and she told us they were perfectly normal, not to worry and charged us £15 :ohmy:

I was going to suggest aloe vera but was beaten to it by several people - I would think H&B sell it online but if not, I can get Rob to get a tube when he's next in town and post it to you.

I keep meaning to look for an aloe vera plant but never remember to look for one - and I'm not really sure if a garden centre would sell them? :unsure: