UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pat Dog

4LeggedFriends

I've been thinking about applying for a while and today rang to make an appointment for an assessment, they asked me if I was available late afternoons, I told the lady I work fulltime, only to be abruptly asked when do you intend to do any visits? The lady was seemed surprised that I had applied as I work full time and sounded doubtful that anyone would request weekend visits.

If that is the case why not give that information out on the website or on the leaflets or even in the information pack?

Surely some of the volunteers must work fulltime? Or do Pat Dogs only do week day visits? Just wondered if there were any Pat Dog people here that had any advice? Or is working fulltime a no go?

Am slightly miffed as Lady wasn't exactly polite about it and was looking forward to doing something like this with my dog :(

What an awful woman. I am the co-ordinator for this area for Pets as Therapy and guess what - I work full time in addition to this and my visits.... I can only say we are all volunteers, we visit at times to suit the establishments AND us...... some of us go during the daytime (I work flexi-time so can do it that way), some of us go at weekends. Some of "my" volunteers work in schools, and can only make their visits during holidays.... I am sooooo sorry you have been treated this way - I would suggest you mention this to PAT Head Office, as the people there have always been extremely helpful to me, answering queries, appreciating the work we all do etc and I think they would be very disappointed to learn of your experience.

Maybe they could suggest an alternative assessor for you? Good luck - it really is worthwhile once you get to the visiting stage.

What a rude woman! It shouldn't make any difference that you work full-time, you could do visits at evenings & week-ends. When my greyhound Daisy became a PAT dog, I worked full-time and I don't even think the assessor asked this. I agree with buddyboy that you shoudl contact Head Office, PAT dogs provide a valuable service and volunteers shouldn't be treated in this way.

Cher - knowing you and knowing Ebbi you would sail through!!! Seriously - if you go to the Pets As Therapy web you can download the application forms. The assessment is how the dog is with strangers, what their reaction is to being touched, stroked, noise, strange surroundings etc.

I'm not really sure what to do, she said she would check if there was any places requesting weekend visits and ring me back, before she made me an assessment appointment, how long do you wait for a call back? She made it sound like it was very unlikely that people requested weekend visits and I was the first person to ever what to do this.

I don't want to go to head office as I worried it would cause a problem if I actually did join, starting to think maybe this isn't for us.

i find her attitude a bit strange, considering it impacts on your time

and that you have to pay for the privilage of having a PAT dog.

It's certainly very rewarding, but with an attitude like that could put

a lot of people off from volunteering - hope she gets back to you soon

with some positive news

I was away last night - just got home to a very strange message from our assessor which makes it sound as if she is the idiot concerned.... in which case I will take it up..... please would you ring me - number on the paperwork you received from head office... there is another assessor south of where we live... and it DEFINITELY will not go against you!!!!

I have spoke the assessor - my palms have nail prints from where I was trying to hold myself back and be calm.... I did explain that if idiots such as myself spend a lot of time (and money) trying to recruit new volunteers, but they can only visit every 6th Tuesday at midnight then I will find them a place to visit......

Please don;t be put off......