UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs Today May Issue - Has Anyone Got It

Nettie

news article

Milne should have listened to the answer these children gave her:

quote:

Roughly one township household in three has pets, with four dogs for each cat. Dogs are usually kept on leashes outside shacks for security, and animal welfare workers have to educate their owners on the need to exercise them. But Ms Milne said she had learned a lesson of her own. "In Soweto... we brought out this greyhound and asked children what they thought he needed. We thought they'd say 'Food and water', but actually they said 'Love and respect'. There was a big lump in my throat."

love and respect

amanda

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have received an email in response to mine to RCVS. It is very lengthy (if anyone wants to read the whole thing send me your email address and I will forward it) however the really relevant section states:

"The RCVS Guide to Professional Conduct 2008 has a section relating to veterinary surgeons’ interaction with the media. This section states that;

‘7. Veterinary surgeons can make a worthwhile contribution to the promotion of animal welfare and responsible pet ownership by taking part in public life, whether in national or local politics, community service, or involvement with the media (including press, television, radio or the internet).

8. In commenting to the media veterinary surgeons must ensure that any statement is factually correct, distinguishing clearly between personal opinion or political belief and established facts. They should be careful not to express or imply that any view is shared by the profession at large unless previously authorised by the RCVS, BVA or other professional body.’

Details of the complaints procedures and a complaints form may be found at http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal....eID=89644"

I believe that this is serious enough to take further, I have downloaded the complaints process and will read through it later and as I think the above quote covers media behaviour and assumptions I will take it further. Hopefully others may take the same view.

Edited by buddyboy