UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Polka A Sport?

Kathyw

Being a tennis fan I was trying to find out when eurosport are being good enough to show the Miami matches are on tv.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw listed on eurosport 'polka'

It's a card game - you sit in a chair and the only part of you that moves are your hands.

Government are always saying that today's children do not do enough sport, get enough exercise - this will help that cause no end won't it?

It is also a gamblers game and therefore not imo a thing to be shown as 'sport'. :angry:

I don't care how much so called skill goes into it ( a good memory is the only skill)- it is sitting on your butt, no sport there at all.

What next a 'sports' prog showing people drinking themselves stupid. Arm raising is the exercise bit.

Utter rubbish.

Do you mean poker? I always thought polka was a dance :wacko:

oops sorry yes Poker.

I know a professional poker player. Travels all over and makes a fair bit of cash from it.

Maybe but that still doesn't make it a sport that you would want children to see surely?

Most sports are taught at school - what next poker being taught in schools?

I know people gamble on sport but polka is different, there is no healthy side to it and gambling can become an addiction and that is not healthy.

I expect poker is already played in schools, we played card games in the sixth form common room at lunch times :laugh:

Just because a sport isn't physically demanding doesn't mean it's unhealthy and children should be shielded from it. Chess is a game of skill, just like poker, and I suspect for the bigger matches I could find a bookie willing to take bets on it.