UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice On London

meandmy4?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wouldn't call £78 shocking, especially since you are wanting to travel fairly soon.

I know from when I've travelled for work, the prices vary a huge amount - £115 for an all day ticket or £39 for the same journey outside of peak hours. Unless you need to be somewhere for a specific time, it's a lot cheaper to travel off peak.

I know from when I've travelled for work, the prices vary a huge amount - £115 for an all day ticket or £39 for the same journey outside of peak hours. Unless you need to be somewhere for a specific time, it's a lot cheaper to travel off peak.

And it's often cheaper to buy two singles rather than a return or if you have to change trains purchase 'split' tickets. Mind you, when I lived oop norf and i visited my friend darn sarf it was cheaper to fly down to see her.

Actually I lied about the 'split' tickets, you don't have to be changing trains. This is just an example to illustrate (I'm not saying it would work on this route) but say you wanted a return ticket from Swindon to Paddington, you could stay on the same train and buy a Swindon - Reading return and a Reading - Paddington return.

Its amazing what you learn on the MSE website :wink:

I live and work in North Kent and have to drive into the city occassionally to work. My advice: don't. If you are from outside and aren't used to London then driving is a) terrifying b) chaos c) expensive to do d) not worth the hassle. If you miss your turning (even with sat nav it's easy to do - you don't argue with a lorry or a bendy bus in London traffic, believe me. Actually you don't argue with cyclists for that matter - you'll have the cr@p kicked out of your car), you'll go round in circles for ages. You'll sit for hours in queues of traffic getting in and out and you'll miss all the sights.

Far better to park with someon you know outside the city (or in docklands which isn't too bad) and tube it in. Get off and see the real London as you go - it's safer and less scary for you and for kids.

depending which direction you are approaching London from you can park up at a Tube Station and get the tube in , in my experience kids love the tube ( okay some adults do as well :ninja: ) i

also if you get an Oyster card its even cheaper and there is often loads of special offers for Oyster Card holders ( discounts on tickets for other attractions )

best place for all your travel queries is the TFL Website http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

I agree with Dee, don't drive if you've never done it before, H would recommend driving up to Redhill approx 2hrs and parking up at the station then getting the train to Victoria costing £28.50 for 1 adult and 3 kids over 5 for an off peak travel card which takes about 35 mins, travel card allows travel on tube from Victoria tube station which is next to Victoria mainline station get on the district or circle line to South Kensington follow tunnel straight to museum :flowers:

Just to add parking at Redhill station £4.50 for the day

This travel announcement has been brought to you by Mr Godin the Train Travel Anorak!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Godin

meandmy4 is coming from the Southampton area I believe, so that will mean coming into London along the M3 I would think, the M3 runs into town through Richmond but I'm not sure what sort of parking they have there, there is bound to be residential parking in the vicinity though, no parking at the station which is on the mainline and tube line although there are car parks nearby, no idea of the costs though.