UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Zambia

scotslass

We have a young friend in Lusaka, Zambia. Over the years we've tried sending things - first to his school (often they didn't arrive, or if they did, he certainly didn't receive them), and recently to his college address, with the same mixed results. Does anyone know of a better/safer method of delivery? Courier?

Or, alternatively - any suggestions where I might locate someone who'd deliver a parcel directly to him (in Lusaka)? I know people go on safari trips to the area, but at the moment, I know no-one who's planning a trip. It would be a small, light parcel.

All suggestions welcome. :flowers:

Liz

My Dad lived in Zimbabwe and now lives in Jo'burg and quite often they didn't get the package that we sent them. I honestly think that it is the 'luck of the draw' and the only safest way is to know someone who is going to that part of the country. However, saying that I have found that the couple of packages I have sent I have put in small letters..present..cd (or whatever it is) and the package arrived. Might work

My Dad lived in Zimbabwe and now lives in Jo'burg and quite often they didn't get the package that we sent them. I honestly think that it is the 'luck of the draw' and the only safest way is to know someone who is going to that part of the country. However, saying that I have found that the couple of packages I have sent I have put in small letters..present..cd (or whatever it is) and the package arrived. Might work

The man at the PO told me to say "clothing", which it was this time - just a few t shirts etc - and while I don't want to lie on the customs form, I suspect some words attract more attention than others. :rolleyes: My daughter wants to send the lad a mobile (he's her pen-pal) next time.

I am going to Zambia in June, but only for 2 days before I head to Botswana. I'm going to Livingstone and I'm camping in the wild so i'm not sure if i can be of any use but if i can help, let me know.

Thank you - I may contact you later. :flowers:

Lucky you. Thats sounds like an exciting holiday!

The man at the PO told me to say "clothing", which it was this time - just a few t shirts etc - and while I don't want to lie on the customs form, I suspect some words attract more attention than others. :rolleyes: My daughter wants to send the lad a mobile (he's her pen-pal) next time.

I have never filled out a customs form, never gave it a thought to be honest. I just shove whatever in a jiffy bag, lick on a few stamps and pop it in the post box. I dont think that I would ever send a mobile tho no matter how cheap we buy it for over here. I once watched a programme where they said that a hell of a lot of stolen mobiles end up in Africa as they are in such huge demand. Would you like me to ask my Dad what is the best safest method?

I have never filled out a customs form, never gave it a thought to be honest. I just shove whatever in a jiffy bag, lick on a few stamps and pop it in the post box. I dont think that I would ever send a mobile tho no matter how cheap we buy it for over here. I once watched a programme where they said that a hell of a lot of stolen mobiles end up in Africa as they are in such huge demand. Would you like me to ask my Dad what is the best safest method?

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. I had to take the parcel to the PO to be weighed and he gave me the customs form to complete. I've always done that when I sent things abroad - I thought you had to? :unsure:

I know it's risky but mobile phones are so cheap here and he is so desperate to have one.

If you could ask your dad I'd be really grateful. :flowers:

A mobile phone in the post in the uk is lucky to arrive, it's very unlikely to arrive in Zambia is South Africa is anything to go by! I've looked at DHL but their prices are quite steep, but you can buy cheaper slots for DHL on ebay, I can't remember the seller I was recommended but will see if I can look them up. :flowers:

A mobile phone in the post in the uk is lucky to arrive, it's very unlikely to arrive in Zambia is South Africa is anything to go by! I've looked at DHL but their prices are quite steep, but you can buy cheaper slots for DHL on ebay, I can't remember the seller I was recommended but will see if I can look them up. :flowers:

It's beginning to seem impossible. :( If I can't send clothes and guarantee they'll arrive, it's probably naive to think I can send anything else. I also looked at DHL, but was put off by the prices - however, I hadn't thought of checking on ebay. Thank you for that suggestion. :flowers:

(Seriously - do mobile phones go missing in the UK post as well? :unsure: )

Quick update - his parcel arrived! :biggrin: Poor lad had to do a lot of chasing around before he traced it - turns out the student office (staffed by students, I mean) is responsible for handling post and it had been sitting around since Feb 25th :dry: . He has just emailed to say he has it. I now have another address to use - he has a relative who works in a police department - so will try that next time.

Thank you everyone. :flowers: