UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Children Play With Toy Guns

Mrs Mop

Maybe I'm in the minority but my children are not allowed to play with toy guns. I don't want to encourage them to play games based on violence. I hate to see little children playing with guns, it's so inappropriate.

I felt like you at one time Cheryl, but I changed my mind when Andrew was still quite young.

I think I originally felt that because I was anti-war and stuff, I didn't think it was appropriate

guns should be used as toys.

But then, I thought of my two brothers, and while they were 'orrible to me when I was little, they have actually turned out to be quite reasonable people, despite being allowed to play with guns, bows and arrows, and the like, so I changed my mind.

Funnily enough, Andrew never bothered with them anyway, he much prefered Lego, Spaceships, and dolls.

What I do have an issue with now though is his school making participation in the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) compulsary (from year 8 - 10inc.), and part of their curriculum.

This includes teaching 12/13 year olds how to assemble and fire rifles.

For the life of me, I cannot see how this activity improves anything they need for their future,

unless of course, they intend joining the armed forces?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do have an issue with now though is his school making participation in the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) compulsary (from year 8 - 10inc.), and part of their curriculum.

This includes teaching 12/13 year olds how to assemble and fire rifles.

For the life of me, I cannot see how this activity improves anything they need for their future,

unless of course, they intend joining the armed forces?

Although I wasn't part of the CCF I was a cadet in the ATC (Air training corps- the cadet force for the RAF) I also learnt how to strip and rebuild a rifle at the age of 13, as well as shoot. This was a small part of the overall curriculum of the ATC. The cadets had a huge part to play in the way I (and my sister) turned out. It would have been so so easy for us to fall into the teenage culture that everyone bemoans on here without it.

The cadet forces teach discipline, teamwork, self worth, self confidence, I know how to survive in the wilderness if I have to and certainly have the skills to survive a major incident - actually more than survive, I would be able to help. First aid, mountain leadership, climbing and mountaineering, abseiling, kayaking, as well as flying and gliding, parachuting, Duke of Edinburgh scheme, nijmegen marches, I have a huge range of skills that I wouldn't otherwise have, as well as mixing with allsorts of different people, leadership and presentation skills, I learnt how to teach mainly through cadets and use the skills I learnt every single day in my job. Most people wouldn't have half the opportunities I have had though cadets. As for the weapons training, as well as having to be incredibly disciplined when dealing with firearms it certainly teaches you to give weapons the respect they deserve. There is absolutely no place for "play" and "make believe" when operating on a range. There is such a whole lot more to be learnt than just how to disassemble, clean, reassemble and fire the rifle.

ETA: As it happens I'm not very keen on giving kids toy weapons to play with. To my mind they are not something to be played with at all. I would prefer that a child absolutely pretend by using fingers/sticks than giving them replicas to play with - gives over entirely the wrong impression IMO

I was in a compulsory CCF, and I think it's a terrible idea. Fine as a voluntary thing, but never, ever something you have to do without choice.

Perhaps mine was just a crap CCF. There was a lot of stupid marching in boots that were too big, pressups, and on several occasions I was forced to take my glasses off to do .22 rifle shooting (apparently they were afraid the recoil would break the glasses - WTF???). If there is one thing worse than a 14 year old with a rifle, it's a half-blind 14 year old with a rifle who can't even see the target.

I also remember vividly my schoolfriend, who was a committed pacifist, being forced, weeping, to handle a gun. That is something that should never happen to a child, should never have happened to her, and I truly wish I'd had the gumption to do more than make a half-hearted protest at the time.

Also, if you are in the CCF it automatically puts (or put) you into the first call-up group if there is ever a war involving conscription. For that reason alone I'm against it unless everyone participating gets a free choice.

If there is one thing worse than a 14 year old with a rifle, it's a half-blind 14 year old with a rifle who can't even see the target.

That reminds me of being in the fair at Southport onetime with some friends, someone said I couldn't hit the bull with a bow and arrow and of course I had to take them up on it. Nobody could understand why I was rolling round the floor laughing when I hit the bull, but they didn't know it was the wrong target I aimed at. I hit the bull in the next but one target :laugh: