UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pc Help - No Dial Tone On Internet Connection

merledogs

My broadband internet connection at home isn't working. When I try to connect up it tells me there is no dial tone.

I have checked the line (it's not that cos I have a dial tone on the phone) and the lead connecting the modem thingy.

I have lights on the modem/broadband thingy so presume it's not that.

I went through the 'troubleshooter' thing but that was no help. One thing it told me to do was check the COM port via the device manager, but when I opened the link to the device manager, there was no listing for COM port. Any ideas how I can check (Windows XP) that it is there?

The internal modem is telling me it's working fine, so it may be something to do with the COM port but as I can't blinking find how to check whether it's working, I don't know :rolleyes:

Any other ideas welcome as well please. :flowers:

It maybe the plug thing that goes into the telephone socket? (if you have one that is). We had to get a new one of those when our connection went down (and we'd been through everything else).

It's not that cos I tried a different lead (ie the one which connects the phone, which I know is working cos it has a dial tone) :flowers:

I haven't tried system restore cos I don't think it's anything to do with that, I haven't lost any data (I don't think) and nuffink seems to be damaged.

Have you checked with your ISP to make sure they aren't having problems? This happened to us at work and I was adamant that there was nothing wrong our end and they were equally adamant there was no fault at theirs ... until I got someone sensible who ran a different test and found out the problem was at the exchange :rolleyes:

Thanks Tracy. I assumed though that because I cannot get a dial tone that the problem would be at my end :unsure: I will ring Talktalk and see what they say.

I had to change the stack setting this morning on TalkTalk as i couldn't get connection either. One PC was TCP Stack Changes, the other one was DNS changes (using same modem :rolleyes: ). I would ring TalkTalk if you tried the trouble shooter :flowers: