UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Website Help, Advice And Feedback Please

Happylittlegreensquirrel

Paul from Wiccs designed my website www.dogstarfoundation.com and put every thing where i asked him to

I do all the updates myself ( surprised my self there let me tell you ) and it all seems to work

few questions really

we don't rank highly on google at all , now I know we don't get a lot of traffic ( say 35 visitors a day tops ) and we don't have many links ( although do have a few good ones ) but we just don't seem to come up anywhere if you search for things like "dogs in sri lanka" or "dog neutering in sri lanka" or any other search request that I think is likely to direct people to our site

I am wondering if I am doing anything wrong with the layout and internal links on the site ? I host the site via godaddy and have some applications there that tell me all sorts of things about the sites stats and one that said the internal spiderbilty of the site was poor due to loads of broken links ( they all seemed to be things I have changed and moved around )

Any ideas clever people ?

the other thing I was considering was substituting the news section to a blog

I think I have 3 options

godaddy blog ( I seem to have one as it came free with something else I brought to do with the hosting )

Mac.com , I have a .com account

sign up for a blogger type one ( although Sirius already has the dogstarfoundation@blogspot address for his dogblog )

again looking for advice and also general feedback on the site and any potential improvements etc ( please bear in mind I am not very techy ) would be very welcome

Thanks

Sam

Not sure if it makes a difference, but do the search engines scour the text of the sites? If that's how it works, changing the text or adding to the welcome page directly beside the welcome legend - "Helping Dogs in Sri Lanka" may be picked up by the various searches. Or is it just the number of times in the text certain words are used? Waffling me! :flowers:

Do a healthcheck on your website HERE. I've found this really useful in the past in helping me optomise my websites for pick up by search engine crawlers. You need to check every single page though.

Also, not sure how true this is, it is recommended that you have text on your homepage that equates to about 200 words - this is to do with optomising your website, again for search engines. You have around 75 words currently.

Your key words on your homepage, found in your KEYWORDS are currently:

Dogstar Foundation

UK

fund raising

project

Mark

Sam

Green

Sri Lankan

Sri Lanka

Charity

Millennium Elephant Foundation

MEF

provide

providing

free

veterinary

vet

treatment

dogs

cats

Kegalle

mobile neutering

speying

neuter

spey

vaccination

clinics

countrywide

So if you want people to find you by such specific phrases as:

"dogs in sri lanka" or "dog neutering in sri lanka"

Then you need to include these in your key words (see below for location) and also replicate them in the body of text on your home page (this is very important to link the two - what you have in your website descriptions should match what you have in the text that every one reads on your website). You need to tailor this for every page. Then submitt if you haven't already to google and the like. Do not use search engine submission thingys, as companies like Google see that as spamming and may well drop you, submitt your website yourself.

<title>Dogstar Foundation Website - ABOUT DOGSTAR</title>

<meta name="keywords" content="Dogstar Foundation, UK, fund raising, project, Mark, Sam, Green, Sri Lankan, Sri Lanka, Charity, Millennium Elephant Foundation, MEF, provide, providing, free, veterinary, vet, treatment, dogs, cats, Kegalle, mobile neutering, speying, neuter, spey, vaccination, clinics, countrywide">

<meta name="description" content="The Dogstar Foundation is a UK based fund raising project run by Mark and Sam Green that works with a Sri Lankan based Charity the Millennium Elephant Foundation (MEF) to provide free veterinary treatment to dogs and cats in the Kegalle area of Sri Lanka and provides mobile neutering and vaccination clinics countrywide.">

Make your keywords meaningful. Try and second guess how people will find you, what phrases will they use? etc and list these.

Edited by tegk68

have PM'd you Helen

I don't understand meta tags / names or how to add them ( or even where they are ) so need some help there

what i can see from your post is that I need make my homepage more text and less links and talk more about what Dogstar is and use words that people might enter in a search engine if they were looking for a organstation such as ours ( anyone got any ideas for keywords ? )

if i did that alone would that make a differance or do I need to do things with metatags etc

as you can see I am pretty much out of my depth now

Help

I don't have time to do a full review now, but can advise you that your metatags are very unlikely to make any difference to your site's prominence at Google - really not worth worrying about if the rest of the site isn't in tiptop shape. Metadata falls into the 'dotting the 'i's ' category - it's a finishing touch, not an essential core feature. There are plenty of sites with terrible metadata that get perfectly good Google traffic.

Concentrate on on-page text, headings and title tags. Don't just concentrate on the home page either, think about keywords in all the pages of your site.

From a quick look I think that the javascript dropdown menus are being ignored by Google and it's only picking up pages other than the home page from the sitemap, which isn't ideal, though if there are broken links as well that will make things worse. I use Xenu Link Sleuth to find broken links.

I don't mind about traffic numbers BTW , I just want people who would be interested in what we do to find us rather than a load of old organizations that did post Tsunami work and have long since left the sunny shores of Sri Lanka

I am very grateful for any advice or feedback ( especially on the dreaded spelling and grammar )

I am going to make a start on the home page as that seems a sensible place to start

I really don't know a lot about websites ( can you guess ) so not sure title pages and headings ( but am happy to learn if someone can talk met though stuff at a idiot level )

The lovely Paul from Wiccs is going to look at the techie side of things so I ( with your help lovely fugees ) am going to look at the content

I think part of the problem is that I am not looking at my site as a person who knows nothing about what we do and its not giving enough information or explanations