UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Chuffed To Bits With Barney Bug'oles......

K9Fran

I've been working Barney mainly on a long line since I got him in Sept - slowly progressing to stints with him dragging it behind him when there are minimal distractions (other dogs, ducks, squirrels, birds etc.) This morning was wonderful training weather - chucking it down and blowing a gale, so there was nobody else out there (except a foolhardy squirrel and a few ducks floating on the very flooded stream).

We got about half way round our walk, having just crossed the stream which forms the base of the triangle which makes our 'short' walk. Suddenly his lordship took off, heading for the stream which is about 3 or 4 foot deep now!!! He is too far ahead for me to catch hold of the long line and he has that body language which tells me that there is no point in calling him, he ain't going to come!! EEKK!! I didn't hear any sploshing, but somehow he'd slithered into the water, and legged it up the other side, at that point his body language changed, and I could see he was worried, so I called him. He tried to get back in the stream at that point, then changed his mind, then paced the bank trying to find another access point - tried another one about 10' to my right, but chickened out again. Then he looked up, back at the direction we'd just come, as if he recognised that our normal path (and the footbridge over the stream) was that way - and took off!! We'd just had a battle on the other side of the bridge because he'd seen a squirrel, so I hoped and prayed that wasn't what he's seen..........

I needn't have worried - he ran back about 50 yards, crossed the bridge, and came galloping towards me with a HUGE smile on his face.........

I guess I can trust my boy a bit more now.........