UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May Have Found A Class

DanishPastry

I was looking around on the internet and came across an agility class, and thought that Indy might like to try that. They have new classes starting up in march, and the first 2 times you go there is just trial to see if it suits you and the dog :) .

My only problem is getting there, as I don't have drivers licence or car, and getting there by bus will be quite costly in the long run, not to mention I could be sitting there waiting for a bus for up to an hour at night time, depending how long the class runs :unsure:

I am thinking I will take the bus there for the first 2 free classes, and ask if anyone of those who are driving is from near here, and perhaps then I could get a ride from them...

Is there anything special I need to prepare/do/bring?

(edited for spelling)

For those who don't know, Indy is a nearly 3 year old female Tervueren.

bb21.jpg

Edited by doggie mum

she is usually ok at concentrating as long as we are working and there are treats involved. She is gonna start out in the "sandbox class" wich is for puppies, but will be moved up if she progresses faster than them. In that class they learn most of the things, except for jumping at any hight, but obviously Indy is old enough to jump. Now I just have to wait 3 weeks for it to start!

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest bit of advice is....

be prepared for your very obedient, quiet, well trained dog to turn in to some screaming lunatic that doesn't listen to anything you say and don't give up after the first night, things do get better :biggrin:

Try not to have a release command that is something you use everyday like OK, I made that mistake and when I'm talking to the instructor and say OK in understanding Suzi is normally at the other end of the school before I have time to blink. :laugh:

:unsure: ermmm what makes you think she is very obedient, quiet and well trained in the first place :laugh:

my release command (if you can call it that) is something that roughly translates to "go on" or "get moving" not something I use all the time LOL.. unless my dogs are in my way and they need to move or be run over by a wheelbarrow/ tread on by horse or so on. I have trained it a bit on our offlead walks the past week, she does respond "forwardly" to it. She is also slowly learning left and right. I don't know if I had taught it right though. I have walked behind her (off lead) and made sure I am on the side I want her to respond to, then used to word and as soon as she turnes her head I have clicked and treated..

I am getting very excited now!! Only a few more hours til we go and catch the bus! :biggrin:

You can also teach left and right by throwing a toy or a treat in the direction you want then using the word.

It all sounds very exciting and at the club they should have loads of other techniques for getting her to work ahead of you and things like that.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on, hope the bus ride isn't too tiring for you both.