UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Raw Feeding On Holiday

agilitymad

Hi I have been feeding my dogs raw for 6 weeks now and have to say that they look fab on their new diet :biggrin:

My only problem is, that when we go on hoilday in two weeks we won't have the freezer space to feed the dogs raw so i was thinking that i could feed raw meaty bones in the morning and for their evening meal JWB or Burns both dogs wont touch natures menu/diet so thats out :rolleyes:

what do you guys do?

thanks

Annyetta :flowers:

When I went to Dumpleton in May I took the first nights meat with me, and then I just asked where the nearest butchers was. Landed very very lucky and they were a brilliant butcher, who not only supplied meat for pets but also gave us the most HUMOUGOUS bones, called back 2 days later and they had saved even more for us!!!

Alternatively just pop to Tesco's and get some mince and chicken legs from there. :flowers:

I feed my 3 raw and went away to Anglesey for 9 days camping this summer - I bought a gas powered fridge that I knew from experience (friends have them) will keep food frozen when you set it to it's coldest setting. I guess it depends where you are going and for how long - but it worked for me a my lot (all big dogs too so loads of food to carry). Alternatively I would go with what Jachy said - take a couple of dsays worth and top it up whilst there.

We took cool boxes filled with frozen blocks of mince and topped with freezer packs.

At the cottage, we filled the small ice box section with the blocks - it was surprising how many it held- and left the rest in the cool boxes in the coldest place, the back porch.

We used the packs from the cool box first and they stayed frozen for several days only slowly thawing.

If you are going somewhere in the UK you can find out the nearest stockist of AMP products from the Prize Choice website.

Jolleys and Pets at Home usually stock frozen food, so find out if there is one where you are going.

As a last resort I use tinned Chappie if necessary. I find it doesn't upset the dogs tummies.

As it is usually only for one ot two feeds I don't want to buy a whole bag of dried food.

I would also see if there is a pet shop near by that stock frozen meat (quite a few do).

If you buy beef mince from the supermarket, make sure its frozen. There was an article about someones dog that ate some fresh raw beef and was critically ill and may never recover properly. I will try and find the article and post it. Basically there is a bug in fresh beef that doesn't affect humans but it does dogs. This bug is killed once the meat is frozen.

I am not trying to alarm, but just be careful.

When I went to Dumpleton in May I took the first nights meat with me, and then I just asked where the nearest butchers was. Landed very very lucky and they were a brilliant butcher, who not only supplied meat for pets but also gave us the most HUMOUGOUS bones, called back 2 days later and they had saved even more for us!!!

Alternatively just pop to Tesco's and get some mince and chicken legs from there. :flowers:

Do you mean Dumpledale? As we've recently started ours on an BARF evening meal and I was wondering about this myself when we go on hols next year :biggrin:

I feed ours raw wherever we go, always seems to work out finding somewhere to buy mince and chuck wings.

Also, a few cans of fish just in case is handy (except if you're camping and sharing your sleeping bag with a dog that's eaten pilchards that night :sick01: )