UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please

ziltha

Our dog loves meeting other dogs and playing with them so we have been thinking about adopting a companion for her.

She was a very insecure girl when we adopted her and is very devoted to and relies on OH. She becomes jealous of the cats when they sit on his lap, but this is only displayed by grumpiness. Although she enjoys meeting dogs outside the house, does anyone think there would be a problem if she had to share her home and Dad with another dog? What can we do to ensure a successful introduction to the family?

Ok, first thing I would do. Some of the dogs she meets when she's outside that she likes. Would any of the owners bring their dog home with you? Could you invite them back for a short time? You would have a vague idea of how she is with other dogs in her own home, albeit a very small snapshot of her behaviour.

Have you taken her to training classes? Is she obedient? If she is obedient can you 'stop' most inappropriate behaviours, whether to other visiting dogs or a new addition?

Most reputable rescue centres will insist that they meet all members of the family - ie all human family members and all dogs - before they will rehome a dog with you. The dogs should be introduced outside their normal territories so you will get a rough indication of how they will behave.

If you have a bitch, personally I would look for a dog as a dog and bitch will normally get along better. The bitch will be 'top' dog in most circumstances but that's fine :rolleyes:

If you do find a companion, when it comes home, make more fuss of your existing dog. Don't ignore the new dog but don't show it preferential treatment.

All the above sounds ever so dictatorial and it's not like that at all so please don't take it that way! :flowers: I think you may be able to have a second dog as long as you can convince your existing dog that her position isn't threatened, especially that you will love her just as much no matter what :)

Thanks for your advice it's gratefully accepted. Will see if we can invite a "friend " to visit. She is very obedient and we can stop inappropriate behaviour with the cats quite easily with a firm "No!" even when they're stealing her food. We have always been a 2 dog family before. She was very traumatised when we first had her and the rescue told us that they thought she might not be re-homable. At that time I don't think she was ready or able to share as she used to growl at any dog who came near us on walks. We would love her to enjoy the companionship of another dog, but the last thing we want for her or any dog we take on is for the re-homing to be unsuccessful.

I had Cromwell for 5 years before I felt it was safe enough to introduce a new dog into the house. I did exactly what Katie suggests and had my sister come over everyday for a few weeks with her little staffie girlie (I knew I had to get a female because Cromwell wasn't that good with other males) and it went from him outwardly ignoring Grace (the staffie) to eventually sharing a bowl and his bed. I then knew he was ready to accept another dog into his home.

I was lucky that Tiz on first introduction to Cromwell did show subservient (sp) signs and allowed him to take a toy from her mouth, I then took him and her for a few walks before someone from the rescue bought Tiz to my house and I had a trail afternoon...needless to say she never left! (Turns out Tiz was anything but subervient and she soon had Cromwell eating out of her paws!!! :laugh: )

Now I have 4 dogs and can bring any dog quiet safely into my home. :wink: I think you know if she's ready, and any good rescue help you as you need to make the introductions. :flowers: