UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

T'internet Advice Anyone?

supafrisk

Mum bought me a sparkly new laptop today :wub: :biggrin:

However, I know nothing about internet connections etc.

At present I am typing off the home P.C, which has broadband cable modem.

Do I have to buy anything extra so I can use the laptop upstairs on the internet or not? :unsure:

Thanks in advance from a stoopid computer illiterate 'Fugee :rolleyes:

Emma, just checking - you are already subscribed to a wireless internet service? And your new laptop is "wireless enabled"? If you answer yes to both of these, you shouldn't need to buy anything else.

When I got my laptop it was able to find the wireless network quickly, the problem I had was entering the key to actually use it.

have you got a wireless router? If not you'll need one.

Is your laptop wireless enabled? If not yuo'll need what we call a dongle but no idea what it's real name is. It plugs into the laptop and picks up the wireless signals.

once those things are in place its fairly simple to sort the connection.

I have a 4 port fast ethernet switched router, it's plugged in and connected to both my home PC and my modem. I have 'tinterweb on the home PC but it refuses to allow me to surf the web on the laptop :mecry:

I'm confused - I'm sure I inputted a WEP key to stop other people using my connection but I can't find a menu on the home PC to confirm this and the laptop is not asking for a WEP key when I try to connect :(

I'm sure Zonealarm has got something to do with this even though I've tried switching it off, as it's telling me there is a problem with the firewall between both PC's.

'Tis a Vista :wacko:

Actually, I'm not all that impressed. I'm running on an Acer with 1 gig ram and 120 gig HD and it seems S-L-O-W but don't know if that's the O/S.

Right - it says Windows confirmed Primary DNS Server is currently online but not responding to connection attempts at this time.

The following policy might need to be adjusted to allow wondows to connect:

Policy provider - filter name SymNetDrv Firewall Filter INBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4

Don't have a Scoobie Dobie what it means :biggrin:

Nope I have Norton.

I've more or less sorted out the internet, now I have much bigger problems to sort out :(

I was trying to sort out a conflict between media player 11 and NCH swift sound software and the help section told me to change my speakers. I disabled them as there were two different ones listed, then the ones that had been disabled disappeared from the list completely and the ones I enabled don't work :mecry:

I've tried system restore and guess what? It won't restore properly and a pop up displays upon start up, telling me restore didn't work and that my settings haven't changed. I've tried three different restore points all to no avail.

Luckily/unluckily I created a back up disc and I am trying that as a last resprt, although this could totally screw it up as I've heard reports that there are bad sectors on Vista O/S :ohmy:

• 1 month later...
Guest TylerBAM
Nope I have Norton.

I've more or less sorted out the internet, now I have much bigger problems to sort out :(

I was trying to sort out a conflict between media player 11 and NCH swift sound software and the help section told me to change my speakers. I disabled them as there were two different ones listed, then the ones that had been disabled disappeared from the list completely and the ones I enabled don't work :mecry:

I've tried system restore and guess what? It won't restore properly and a pop up displays upon start up, telling me restore didn't work and that my settings haven't changed. I've tried three different restore points all to no avail.

Luckily/unluckily I created a back up disc and I am trying that as a last resprt, although this could totally screw it up as I've heard reports that there are bad sectors on Vista O/S :ohmy:

I have the same problem as you, Supafrisk. I have an Acer 3680, Running Vista, and Shortly after installing ZoneAlarm, my computer stopped working witht he internet. It shows that I am connected fine with the router, but none of the pages will load.

If your pc won't restore normally - try it whilst running in safe mode. To boot up in safe mode turn off the pc, then turn it on as it starts to boot up press F8 a few times, you'll then see a screen asking how you want to boot up - choose run windows in safe mode, the pc will then boot into windows and will display "SAFE MODE" in all 4 corners of the screen, once you are in safe mode then try a system restore this will usually fix the problem :flowers: