UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Smooth Fm

Rescuewoman

I have been a work today ... going through some busy periods work wise and having to work weekends, so rescue is taking a little bit of a back step for me sadly. However today listening to the radio on way to work i heard something which nearly drove me apoplectic!

Smooth FM which i rarely listen to was on because it was early morning and the music was early. Then over the airwaves came an advert for 'Dogs for You', which is a major reseller of 'pedigree' (Dog Lovers Registration Certificate' puppies in Manchester.

The advert went something like this

'Puppies of all breed available, we are a dog lovers paradise.' (sic)

This kennels which was formerly known as Mayfield Kennels, import dogs (puppies from Ireland, Wales and other breeders in the UK, to sell unseen to the general public. No home check is undertaken and you can simply walk in and walk out (after parting with a considerable amount of money) with a puppy. WAW have taken on a number of puppies and adult dogs who originated from this establishment, including a cocker spaniel who had Cocker Rage and whom we discovered had also had a sister with the same condition who was also put to sleep :(.

If you visit this establishment you will see large litters of puppies, which are ostensibly from the same litter, but you will not, as far as I am aware, see either parent.

The puppies are not Kennel Club Registered, and indeed Mayfield kennels were the founders of the Dog Lovers Registration Certificate.

I would like members to join me in making a formal complaint to Smooth FM in an attemp to raise awareness of the trade in puppies from puppy farms in Ireland, Wales and the UK.

These are the contact details for Smooth FM

Tel: 0845 050 1004

Fax: 0845 054 1005

smooth radio

8 Exchange Quay

Manchester

M5 3EJ

Or you can email them from this link

Smooth FM

A letter writing campaign previously got an advert for this establishment removed from my local radio, so your voice can count.

Please please get in touch and do something positive today.

Edited by Rescuewoman

We take it in turns at work to choose the radio station for the day, so I listen to Smooth once or twice a week.

It might be a regional thing (I'm in the Notts/Leics area) but they have an announcement - not an advert - each afternoon regarding rescue dogs needing homes. Whilst I'm not familiar with all the rescue organisations mentioned, the ones I do know are reputable.

I'm obviously more than happy to join you in writing an "educational" letter (aka complaining :laugh: ) to Smooth in Manchester, but I wonder if it might be worth including the fact that they'd make themselves seem very impressive if they dumped the rogue ad and instituted a similar slot to that which I hear?

We take it in turns at work to choose the radio station for the day, so I listen to Smooth once or twice a week.

It might be a regional thing (I'm in the Notts/Leics area) but they have an announcement - not an advert - each afternoon regarding rescue dogs needing homes. Whilst I'm not familiar with all the rescue organisations mentioned, the ones I do know are reputable.

I'm obviously more than happy to join you in writing an "educational" letter (aka complaining :laugh: ) to Smooth in Manchester, but I wonder if it might be worth including the fact that they'd make themselves seem very impressive if they dumped the rogue ad and instituted a similar slot to that which I hear?

I like that idea ... when i write tomorrow and phone on Monday i will take that route I think :)

I shall definitely be in touch with them via phone on Monday. In the meantime I will send off an email. Thanks for letting us know Catherine. I'm pretty sure I know of them. :(

Kazz xx

Edited to add have sent polite emailing outlining your main points, but in my own words. :flowers:

Edited by redditchlady

I've been there and no you don't get to see mum and dad. The pups are bred elsewhere & brought in. They are behind glass doors in a room thats no more than 3foot by 6foot. They are there all day and night with no stimulation./excercise at all.

A friend of a friend used to work there, they buy in the pups for £50 & are sold for £500.

thanks for this, I'll be complaining to them!

Spoke to Steve Collins Programme Manager yesterday. Very pleasant conversation in which we agreed that nothing Smooth FM had done was in contravention of any law, or sadly that anything Dogs For Us are doing :(. However we had a discussion around the ethics of puppy farming, the poor conditions, what it really means to be a dog lover and how a place such as this is indeed a dog lovers nightmare and we went through some of the examples of dogs WAW has had from unsuspecting owners including the cocker spaniel with Rage which we had to PTS :(

He has promised that he will now discuss this with his boss and they will come back to me with their decision. Please keep the pressure up.

mo davey brought a successful batch of cases against this place last year based on false pedigrees with kennel affixs being used by people with no legal right to them,

if you buy a wonky puppy from there (there are no adults just cute take me home puppies) they give you a guarantee only when you try to get a sick puppy treated under guarantee you are told to bring back wonky puppy and they will give you a replacement non wonky one they often refuse to treat the one you have already as the guarantee appears to be for replacement puppy only :unsure:

it is worrying that you can go into places such as this for a book on dogs or sack of food (its a general pet shop too) and walk out with a puppy with no thought or planning (and i have heard from many people who have done just that only to later ralise they dont have time for a dog)

the last dog we took in that originated from there was a 24 inch to the shoulder lab cross who was sold for £450 to an elderly label as a staffie and came with full kc papers for a staffie which i still have the old lady gave her up at 12 months as she had grown too big :(

I heard this advert the other day too, I've been to this kennel and it is appalling - I went because it was where a lt of the puppies that came through my puppy class were coming from - and all of them appeared to have problems, both health and mental.

I have sent an e-mail and will be calling them later to make the point.