UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Powergen Or Npower?

Brenda

We have our gas & electricity with Powergen and happy with them, & price seems okay. Last week this incredibly persuasive guy knocked at the door and persuaded me to change to nPower. He had an answer for everything and was 'nice' to the point I couldn't be rude to him. He says that if we switch gas & electric will be cheaper plus we get £80 back a the end of each year if we pay by dd. Just wondered what peoples experience of npower is. We have 14 days 'cooling off' period, so can cancel if we need too. Thanks. :flowers:

They took over Yorkshire Electricity (though I think someone may now have bought Npower?) & I've only ever been with them. Can't say I've had any problems.

When my Dad had a query on metering they were typical of large companies though - ie you get a computer says no type operator who will believe whatever the computer says - even if it is obviously wrong.

In this area there are companies who reckon they can undercut Npower so it may be worth a look at uswitch.com before committing yourself.

I have had no end of problems with powergen spanning 2 years now. I sent a complaint weeks ago and they havent even bothered to reply. I switched to npower to get away from powergen and they have been fine. Worth checking uswitch though in case someone else is cheaper.

I was with NPower at my old house and was happy with them, just switched to them at new house from the VERY expensive Scottish POwer. Did it through energy helpine and will be getting £15 (woo. but every bit helps eh?)

It;s British Gas I will never ever ever go near again.

Good luck with NPower

I was with NPower at my old house and was happy with them, just switched to them at new house from the VERY expensive Scottish POwer. Did it through energy helpine and will be getting £15 (woo. but every bit helps eh?)

It;s British Gas I will never ever ever go near again.

Good luck with NPower

Oddly enough British Gas is why I've stayed with Npower. At one point I was approached, agreed to switch & then about 2 or 3 months passed before I heard anything at all. I decided if this was the best they could do when trying to win business I'd stay where I was and haven't taken up anyone elses offers when they've tried - partly because I thought if I was going to do it I wanted to go with the best price / service / compromise available & havent been convinced I was getting it. SInce I registered on TPS they no longer ring & I just haven't bothered.

i never had any probs with powergen until recently like last week when they sent me a bill for over £1000 for electric.. they have admitted its their cockup but not sorted it out yet...and must ring them, but i defo will be moving away from them, we have been with them for a couple of years...

i never had any probs with powergen until recently like last week when they sent me a bill for over £1000 for electric.. they have admitted its their cockup but not sorted it out yet...and must ring them, but i defo will be moving away from them, we have been with them for a couple of years...

The problems we had were with billing too. Their system miscalculated our bill and they said we were £300 in credit. So they gave us a refund and reduced our payments. Then their system caught up a few months later and we were £400 in debit. We agreed with them to pay it off monthly (they wanted us to pay over £100 a month but we refused) but they kept sending us letters trying to increase our monthly payment to over £100 again. So we left and went to npower and told powergen we would continue to pay them off at the agreed rate. I have tried so many times to set up a payment plan with them and they keep sending the wrong stuff or not sending anything. Then, a couple of months ago, I got a call from a debt collection agency! So I called powergen again and had a rant at them. The girl I spoke to was totally out of her depth and promised to get someone to call me back that night. Well, I'm still waiting for that phone call. So I wrote a long letter detailing everything and I've not even had an acknowledgement so I have no idea what is happening with it now. I'm totally livid with them and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now.

I have to say nPower, but I am slightly biased.... when I had solar panels installed I switched to them (and their green energy scheme) and they buy back my surplus electricity...... ok so on days like today that is nil, but on sunny days that meter just whizzes round.

Just seen this thread and although we are with NPower and changed from seeboard to go with them we've not had probs but the other day I was approached by a salesman in Sainsburys who said they are cheaper than NPower. Money off for paying gas & elec by dd and nectar points and cheaper if you do your own meter readings and post them online. Apart from the nectar points I think most companies offer discounts for dd and online accounting.