UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Need Some Advice

My boyfriend got his rescue dog yesterday shes a staffy about 1 years old

shes been a good girl untill now , martin took her out for a walk but now shes pooed in the kitchen and bedroom even tho shes been walked

is this due to stress and just getting use to her new home?

what should martin do whats the best way to deal with this

hope to hear soon

Dee

Yes, she could very well be stressed which would cause this. It happens with the most perfectly house trained dogs. :flowers:

Whatever you do, don't stress about it as she will pick up on it. (and never rub her nose in it).

Go back to basics as if training a puppy. She might not know where (in your house) she can go, so take her outside on lead frequently to releive herself. At least, when she wakes up (everytime), after meals, after playtime, and before bed.

Praise her well, when she does it in the right place and maybe add a cue word for 'performing'.

I tell my two to 'go wee wees' and they now do whatever they need to.

Give her time to settle. Its all totally new to her and she is probably still in shock from her move.

Do we get to see pics of your new addition? I love staffies :wub:

• 1 month later...

Shes still having problems house training :( the pooing isnt so bad its the weeing

she has beeing weeing on our bed and any where else

she doesnt le you know when she wants to go out even have tryed washing powder also trainging pads she some times uses them and some times she dont

i have notice something with xena she dont like being away from martin at all and when he sister or brother walk her she wont move she lies down and they give up and go back to martin

she tryed to do that with me but it dont work i keep on walking and now shes fine with me

maybe shes scared to go out and wee incase martin leaves her?

also shes been snapping at people for no reason when walking her she will be fine then someone walk past she snaps for no reason and barks

she dont all ways do thing and shes a very friendly girl normal

what should we do as we dont want her to hurt any one

ps martin live in a flat

heres a photo of the very beautiful Xena Warrior Princess

xenaollie003.jpg

xenaollie005.jpg

baby and daddy lol daddy sucking thumb again lol

xenaollie003.jpg

She looks beautiful!!! :wub: :wub:

With the house training, I'm afraid the only thing I've found to solve it (and usually quiet quickly) is taking her out pretty much on the hour every hour and standing with her until she goes. Then make the biggest fuss in the world (its known as the wee wee dance in my house :huh: ). I had Cooper as a older dog who wasn't house trained and it only took a couple of days for him to 'get it'. It might mean getting up in the middle of the night to take her out, but surely doing that for a few nights is better than the alternative? Obviously ignore any accidents, quietly clean them up and only make a fuss of her when she goes outside.

With regards to the other issues, it sounds like she's over bonded with Martin, Staffies are extreamly loyal and loving dogs but do need a firm (and by that I don't mean physical) hand. She sounds like she's not very confident so needs careful handling. I strongly recommend taking her to a good dog trainer before the situation gets any further, unfortunately in this climate with staffies you need to be so careful. :(

She looks gorgeous :wub: :wub:

Can you keep the bedroom door shut/locked when you're not in it, that'll stop her being able to wee on your bed.

Do you take her out for toilet as soon as she wakes up/after she's eaten, as late at night as possible etc? You said he lives in a flat, does it have a garden or does he have to take her out for a walk each time? If he's just taking her into the garden, is he staying with her? Has he tried teaching her a command for, and rewarding her, when she goes in the right place? (people use different commands, I taught all mine toilet, which we use for both wees and poos!) When is she weeing inside - overnight, when left during the day etc.? She might well be still finding her feet and/or not sure what is expected of her.

None of mine have ever really let me know when they want to go out, I have just got used to when they need to go.

With regard to the snapping, I agree with Jacky, you do need to be careful (as I am sure you are) as someone only needs to be scared of her to report her. Does the rescue she came from offer behaviourist advice? If not, I think it would be advisable to find a local, recommended trainer/behaviourist to assess her "in person" :flowers: - perhaps look at enrolling her in a good, positive local training class?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

when i am at my b/fs she wakes me up every morning by kissing me i know when she wants to go out out and i do take her out so does martin when i am not there

martin had kept the bedroom door shut and since then she has been very good

shes still snapping but i think its due to fear as shes a good girl indoors also if i have one of her toys out shes not to bad

she came from battersea so its a bit far for him now as he dont drive but i have found a school who will do it for free if martin lets them record him

Thanks she is beautiful , every time i look into her face i fall more in love with her lol