UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Pls

heva

ok so king goes in for his op on thursday on hisligaments in foot! will need 6 weeks rest!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

he will be bouncing off the walls.......... anyone had to deal with broken dogs before who needed lonh rest! i have dogs in kennels but is slightly easier when have a kennel to roam in that they are used to!

Crate and lots of kongs. Tie kong to roof of crate so harder to work at it. :flowers:

Teach tricks,(clicker training) roll over, depending on poorly paw, waves, lick your lips (natpants favourite) :biggrin: , smile etc.

Searching for objects under three containers etc etc.

Depends on how much movement and what movement he will be able to cope with?

Meg broke her leg last year, she was meant to have 6 weeks crate rest, but she hated it, and was able to wedge her leg in the crate to get to the cast and remove it, so we had to settle on 6 weeks rest with no crate. Luckily even though she is only young she likes to sleep a lot, and it wasn't a problem keeping her quiet in the house.

No idea how you'd keep an active dog quiet though, low fat treats in a kong, but not too many because if he's inactive he may gain weight which is bad news on recovering limbs.

Sorry i'm no help, but we'll wish him all the best for his op, and a speedy recovery :flowers:

or Boots, they sell arnica too. I think you'll have to use your imagination and play lots of games that involve mental exercise, hopefully that will tire him out. Clicker training exercises suggested are a good idea. If he does start to put on unwanted weight then just give him his meals in kongs but if that not necessary then it won't be a worry. If it gets warm (some hope) you can always freeze a stuffed kong so it lasts longer and is also cooling for him too. Good things for binding kibble in kongs is pate (the sort that comes in the sausage shape packaging) and primula cheese. Good luck.