UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Busy Weekend With Rehoming & Have A Spare

Laurel n Hardy

Had a generally busy weekend really

what with going down to Newbury and then back again on Saturday, then my friends picked up their Westie on Sunday morning after they were on holiday for a week (So was Barney, he slept on the couches and had a fine old time in the madhouse that is mine)

Pick up two Westies from Preston and was only home about 20 minutes when the new owners arrived in the pouring rain to collect them (20 minutes is long enough to sniff all round my house and tinkle on the floor - thanks boys :ohmy: )

Then got an emergency call to foster a westie that may have to be PTS if a home wasn't found

Sorry for the preamble but here is why I am posting

The poor thing has been shunted from pillar to post for the last few months and when all the fuss started over her in her new home she became overwhelmed and stressed. Instead of leaving her to find her feet (paws) the grandmother went to comfort her and stroked her head

No prizes for guessing what happened next

Yep, she turned and bit the lady hard, and I mean Hard, clamped on and didn't let go, result was a chipped bone and a minor procedure in hospital

Now she is with me and my two boys (who seem to like female company for a change) to look after her as a foster

She is 8 years old, spayed Westie with a sweet nature who even gave me a kiss this morning when I came downstairs

I am leaving her to her own devices and so she has been coming to me on her terms, no pressure from me to stroke, cuddle or fuss her

Is there anything I can give her to help her calm down and de-stress, I have seen other posts on here recomendiing things before

So, what can I use

Where do I get it

what form does it come in (drops, tablet, creme etc)

how much do I use

how long do I use it for

again apologies for the ramble but thanks for sticking with me so far :biggrin:

edited to say not sure if she has Seperation Anxiety as well, she created a noisy fuss when i put my coat on but quietened down when she saw her lead

Edited by Laurel n Hardy

Poor little girl - lucky she's found you.

Things I have tried in the past:

Rescue remedy on food / in water - you can get it at boots - the stuff for humans works on animals

DAP diffuser - buy at vets or cheaper on line

DAP spray - useful for inside a crate / dog bed etc

Valerian and skullcap tablets from Dorwest Herbs

Dr Petal's elixirs for animals - there's one for crisis and various other ones too http://www.tortuerouge.co.uk/crisis-d--212.html

Flower remedies - suggested blend by my vet - can't remember the exact blend but Muriel will be able to help you, I think.

just quickly bobbing on - better not to use skullcap and valerian for now unless absolutely necessary. First of all the herbs take a while to kick in (several days at least) and you might want that time to assess rather than treat? Also there is one school of thought that that combination actually interferes with the learning processes in the brain, so not necessarily helpful.

Generally on anti-anxiety meds (I use them with my collie) you need to be careful as often they also lower inhibitions so potentially dog is less stressed, but actually more likely to nip/bite etc.

RR and DAP worth trying, again DAP can take a couple of weeks to have any effect though.

DAP can also lower inhibitions although can work well too, it was great for my oldie when it came to fireworks time of year but can't use it anymore because it turned the new cute puppy Bertie into the puppy from hell, I really was about to return him to the rescue I was fostering him for because he was so uncontrollable and I couldn't believe an 11 week old puppy had me beat and then I unplugged it and peace reigned once again.

I wouldn't use Valerian or skullcap and valerian just now - give her a chance to settle and then see if it's needed. I'm not a fan of DAP diffusers either, (the animals don't rate them much either)

What I would use is Flower Remedies - you can give Rescue Remedy a try, it may help, I'd also get Walnut as it's for change. Flower Essences can be got in some chemists, Tesco do RR but none of the others. (If you want to pm me with more info, I can try to work out what would be best for her.)

thanks for all the replies so far i really appreciate them

She seems to be settling into the house nicely, hopped on the couch and snuggled up for tummy tickles last night so thats a good sign.

She barks a lot when I come home as a way of greeting me but my, she is a loud one though.

she stood up and gave me another kiss this mornig so I have taken that as a good sign.

Also I have binned all the treats that came with her, switched her to the same food as my boys eat and her number 2's have firmed up nicely :laugh: :sick01: which may also be a factor behavour wise...

will keep you all posted and if I can get photobucket to work even post some pics

quick update for you all

I have been through all the documentation papers i got with her and I have found the medical history :mad:

apparently when she was about 3 or 4 she "fell down some steps" resulting in a hip injury and also she had "self inflicted damage to her back legs and paws", according to the vets report. Also she was admitted to a previous vets very dehydrated and has been on various drips in her early life :grrr:

The fact she bit her previous owners when ovewhelmed is becoming a bit more clear, the people that I collected her from are very nice as they got sweet little Tess from westie rehoming they decided to return her instead of the terrible alternative. :worried_anim:

The original owners have cleary caused damage to her and when I checked back to when she was first brought in to rehoming the family were described as a bunch of slobs who didn't care that the dog was going, she also swallowed a corn cob resulting in major surgury to get it removed. The physical scars have healed as the vets seem to have done a wonderful job on her, however the mental scars remain. :mecry:

She seems to be doing really well mixing my Archie & Clifford, her attitude is good and she has a sweet nature.

She barks constantly when I come down in the morning and when I get home too, as soon as i stroke her she calms down but when she wanders out of reach or I stroke my two she starts again. There are definately insecurities built into her, and it looks like she will be staying indefinately until I can help her get over these trauma's.