UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ragwort

EAD

I have just noticed a plant with yellow flowery things on it in the garden though not sure if its ragwort :unsure:

I did read on the web that it has to be eaten to be poisonous, could someone confirm that?

Off to take a piccie.

I have just noticed a plant with yellow flowery things on it in the garden though not sure if its ragwort :unsure:

I did read on the web that it has to be eaten to be poisonous, could someone confirm that?

Off to take a piccie.

According to what I've read http://www.kavishi.freeserve.co.uk/poisonplants.htm Ragwort is very poisonous & reportable to MAAF in the UK due to it's effects on cattle. If in doubt I think I'd dig it up & dispose of it safely.

Here is a picture / description of it http://www.kirkleesmc.gov.uk/community/env...gwortweed.shtml

That's not ragwort. Ragwort flowers are a lot bigger and yellower - quite pretty really. That looks more like some relative of lettuce or cabbage that has run to seed.

Ragwort apparently has a very bitter flavour when it is green so it's not that huge a peril: the main risk is if it gets into hay, as once it has dried, it's more palatable to livestock. It's a tough thing, produces a lot of seed and can seed itself into established grass, and that's why it's such a particular nuisance compared with the many other common plants that are poisonous.

that is definately not ragwort. Ragwort can do damage to humans when it pulled out if its juices get into any cuts or grazes on your hands. Altho I think it would need a quite large amount as we pulled ragwort by the tons out of horse paddocks over the years and never wore gloves.x

Certain that's not ragwort. I am always checking our fields for it as it can be deadly for horses and livestock. I pulled 4 lumps of it up yesterday. I always wear gloves as apparently that is what is advised. I believe it can slowly build up in your system and when ragwort poisoning presents itself it can be quite advanced though I don't know of any humans personally that have been affected by it but I just don't like to risk it.

Quite certain that it would be fairly toxic to dogs if eaten but I don't think that they would find it particularly attractive to eat though norty poopies may :rolleyes:

It is said that it is probably more toxic when it is withered or dead :ohmy:

Official advice is to incinerate it or poison it, never compost it or leave it lying around.

Ditto the not being ragwort feelings. We have that plant (can't remember the name) in our fields and I'm always grateful when I get closer up and realise that it isn't, although you're definitely wise to question.

If you want to see the real stuff, wait a few weeks and drive down any road - really annoys me the number of Councils that just let it spread like wildfire on the verges.

I once read that a farmer who pulled a lot of it out by hand suffered from liver damage because he absorbed the plant's juices through his skin - not sure how true that is but it was a news article.

I'd err on the side of caution if I were you :flowers:

exactly right, they did a study at liverpool uni. 15 mins it took from skin contact to showing up in the blood. :flowers:

That is defo not ragwort.