UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Needed Please

poppysfriend

i am hoping in the near future to be moving from london to swindon in wiltshire, i have a major problem in that i don't drive so therefore don't have a car, so would welcome some advice on how to get mum who is 88 this year and the 2 dogs to swindon, do you think that a cab would take 2 dogs as well as mum and me, mum is not terribly mobile either which adds to the problem.

how would sending the dogs crated via train work as i have never ever done this so don't know what i would need to do, also don't know how poppy and speedy would react either.

any advice would be gratefully received

Is this a one-off, on your moving day?

I'm pretty sure First Great Western don't allow dogs as 'freight' in the guards van any more, they can only travel with passengers. Even if they did allow it, I'd not risk it - I was a 'Welcome Host' (aka the person who clears up the balls-ups) for Intercity Great Western at Reading and I have some pretty dire stories about things going missing.

Can you not enlist the help of a friend on that day? Or a Fugee? :ninja:

Irene what about a professional dog transportation service :unsure:

The people who have the hydro pool where my dogs used to swim are moving to France shortly and they are sending the dogs via one of these services as they reckon the dogs will be more comfortable - air con vehicle, driver and helper, camera linked to screen in cab etc..

Marion

There is a professional dog transportation service not that far from me in kent called chancepixies (they are also the nominated kennel for the dogwardens) http://www.chancepixies.com/transport.htm#national it may be worth contacting them to get a rough idea of how much they would charge - I agree with other posters that maybe a fugee would be able to help you. Fingers Crossed for you.

I have a friend recently moved from London to Yorkshire with 2 dogs and 8 cats. She initially was going to get an animal taxi/ambulance type person to take her but that fell through and the company who were doing her removal took her and all the animals in a small van, a transit I think. Worked well for her.

So, worth talking to the removal firm, and door to door service :biggrin: