UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Computer's Dead :o(

KathyM

Hiya you lot

Well, title says it all. Computer's been making a funny noise for a while, like a car indicator (tick tock tick tock), and every now and then it restarts itself. We put it down to it needing a clean or the lead being loose, and were going to sort it today. It beat us to it - it now won't fully restart at all. We've taken it apart, given it a clean and put it back together, but it's still playing silly buggers. Basically it starts off normally, gets to the part where it tells you what it is and what-have-you, then brings up a page saying that Windows has encountered a problem, and asks me to pick what I want to do (start Windows normally, start from last good configuration, etc). At this point, it won't let me move between the choices (maybe my keyboard's on the way out too), so it assumes I want to start Windows normally. After 20 seconds it does set it off, gets to the Windows loading screen, then goes black for a minute (like it does when it loads), then restarts the whole thing again.

I know it's a very long shot that one of you might know what the problem is when you haven't seen it, but if anyone has a clue that'd be much appreciated. ALL my college work that is due to be handed in is on it (I've had the lecture about backing it up, I know, I know, please don't say it). The only computer repair place in town has a bit of a reputation for adding on extra costs, and considering we're a) skint and b) need the computer up and running before I even get paid, if there's ANY tips for fixing this (unlikely as it is) I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Kathy

(Who is now off to cry)

Is this working on the battery or the mains line?

Does it work when it's plugged into the wall?

Could it be the BIOS battery?

x x

actually on second thoughts it could be the cooling fan - that went in my desktop and it did the start-up/close down constantly, wouldn't let me use the keyboard...

Edited by murtle

Thanks - this is a PC, mains connected. I think you're right that it could've overheated. I'm hoping that isn't going to cost me as much as the computer's worth to fix. I hoped (probably unrealistically) that a gentle clean of the dog hair in the fan would fix it but obviously it's not meant to be. Another great kick in the teeth from life - looks like this may be the end of my college course, and I'll prolly have to redo the year now. I've had enough of May. May sucks. :mecry:

Thanks GingerMacYoYo

I have no idea how to but yes I would imagine it's possible. It's not so much the work as the computer being out of action - I'm expected back after the holidays with everything done. I hadn't got anywhere near finishing and had this week set aside to do it. I don't have the finances to fix the computer before the work's due in, so the plan is going to have to be to somehow manage to dope myself up and get down to the college if it's open through the holidays, and do the work there (God knows how I'll do the stairs but hey, it's a life experience). I just know if I run into my tutor she's going to do the "I told you so" routine which I've already had off everyone, and then kick me off. Just feel like life is taking the mick sometimes. I'll ring college in the morning. :flowers:

Thanks again

Kathy

xx

Ps: Thanks Anne, might try that tomorrow. :flowers:

How did I know this would get shifted to where nobody ever comes, haha.

It cost me £50 to get mine replaced...by a small repair shop...item cost and labour

I don't believe they are difficult...to replace if you are able to get to it and get one for your PC, but not guaranteed to be the problem.

x x

I'm going to ask them in the morning, thanks for the idea! :flowers: They do run a laptop borrowing scheme, but unfortunately it's for 20-somethings and under, they don't lend them out to people my age (how ageist is that!). I'm going to beg tomorrow morning. I must've done something really sh*t in a previous life, I tell you. :rolleyes: :flowers:

Thanks. :flowers: I have to come off here now, but will try and pop back tomorrow (prolly from college if I can get there) in case there are any more ideas. I really appreciate your posts, all of you. :GroupHug:

Edited to add:

Juwel Rio 300 fishtank (4 x 2 x 2 roughly) with extra external filter and the works, in black - comes with fish (some expensive, including L333). Will swap for laptop/PC. PMSL - if you see this add on Freeads tomorrow, you know things went t*ts up. :laugh:

Edited by KathyM

Kathy,

Have you tried hitting F8 after the initial BIOS screen comes up?

That will give you a menu and an option to get into safe mode.

If you get into safe mode you can do a windows recovery?

Also if you think it may be your fan, have you got on on top of your chip?

If you do take it off and put it back on, it may be loose.

Hi Theresa

Can't use the keyboard at all, tried hitting delete as it started up (which it tells you to do to enter setup), nothing. It's a cordless keyboard, have tried new batteries but nothing. So can't get into safe mode etc, that's one of the options it brings up on that screen that I can't manoeuvre around. No idea if there's anything on the chip, could only barely work out what the fan was, I'm not very techy minded at all. Will have a better peek tonight when I get it all disconnected again.

Thanks! :flowers:

Kathy

xx