UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lucy's Teeth

greys mum

Fugee's can help with most things, so can you help Lucy?

Lucy (greyhound) had a major dental as soon as I got her 3 years ago and had 15 teeth removed. :ohmy: She eats dried food, has bones,chews, plaque off and I clean her teeth.

This last 7/10 days she hasn't liked me cleaning her canines. There is a rim of plaque on them. All other teeth are sparkly white. Vets says that she need another dental as there is a pocket there and he thinks that there is more plaque above the gum than we can actually see on her tooth. :mecry: But said all her other teeth looked fine. But her breathe is smelly. :mecry:

What more can I do to prevent this happening again in the future? Lucy goes in for her dental next Friday, I have already started wibbling. :(

Sorry I have waffled. :blush:

Edited by greys mum

Have you tried 'Plaque off' ? It's sprinkled over the dog's food. I've not tried it myself as so far Ruby's teeth are ok but it's give quite a good report I understand.

Maybe something to consider ?

Best wishes to you both for next Friday :flowers:

I've got a dental tooth scraper, I use it to flick off any deposits of plaque. I found plaque off useless, not tried fragaria which some people say works well. A friend swears by cider vinegar she has acclimated her dogs (greyhounds) to drinking the stuff and they never get plaque. She starts off with a little bit in their water and then gradually adds. I think they have about 2 tsps a day. I have never managed with mine to get them to tolerate it.

If Lucy had a very poor diet as a racer her enamel and dentine would be damaged/not formed properly and this is why her teeth coud be so easily covered. I had a greyhound like this and he ended up toothless at 8.

Logic works fairly well for me once a week.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that Lucy had a very poor diet when she was racing. The person who owned/trained her, had about 20 bitches (no dogs) they were ALL kept muzzled 24/7. :axehead: :handjob

Laura, where did you get your dental scraper from? It's only needed for the upper canines. Hopefully they will still be there on Friday night.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that Lucy had a very poor diet when she was racing. The person who owned/trained her, had about 20 bitches (no dogs) they were ALL kept muzzled 24/7. :axehead: :handjob

Laura, where did you get your dental scraper from? It's only needed for the upper canines. Hopefully they will still be there on Friday night.

Ebay I think, it would be ideal for that, its a proper dental scraper that dentists use.