UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Barf Diet

cheryl33

I do! :biggrin:

Pros (this is just my opinion btw)

Cheaper

Cleaner (ie additives etc)

They love their food now.

More energy (humm not sure that's a plus!)

Shiney coats

Generally happy mutts

Cons

Pretty complicated to ensure they are recieving the correct vits, proteins etc. Once's you've read up and sussed it out though its easy.

Its meat and I struggle with my ethics

Can have dodgy poop's for the first few weeks

You have to be more organised, I plan their meals a week ahead.

With having 4 dogs I buy in bulk so needed another freezer...but my own freezer is still full of their food as well!!

Ummm sure others will be able to suggest more. :wacko:

I started feeding Max and Larkin raw 4 weeks ago. mx always had a sensitive tummy and didn't do well on dry food.

Now his poo is fine, his coat looks excellent and he loves his food.

I thought it is rather complicated to start with, but it is just another wy of feeding. Like feeding yourself/kids/family...

If not necessary I won't go back. Waiting now to finish my dry food so i can feed the others raw too...

Got lots of good advice on here.

I feed my two a Barf diet.

Pros and cons as above.

More pros:

They don't smell "doggy"

Sweet breath

"Hollywood white" teeth.

Very healthy beasts.

Easy to maintain correct weight

Cons: can't think of many

some vets will tell you that it's dangerous - choking on bones etc (mine have never choked even on fish bones)

handling raw meat especially tripe makes me feel slightly sick :sick02:

Go for it - there's lots of raw feeders around who will give you advice

the reason I ask is that my vet has mentioned the barf diet it to me previously, but all the research i've done includes meat. henry hasnt been fed any meat for over 7 months due to his skin so is it possible a dog can survive on the barf diet purely on veg and fruit?? :unsure:

another happy barfer here.

My dals excema disappeared.

Other pro's

clean teeth

small poops - better for clearing up.

I know what I am feeding

If introduced gradually you shouldn't have any digestive upset. Your dog's digestion needs to adjust to the new food. Stronger digestive juices are needed to digest raw feeding so you need to allow this to happen.

But, please do your research before feeding this way. It is not difficult, but not the same as putting some kibble in a dish. There are lots of raw feeding sites- do a search on Google for 'barf, raw meaty bones or raw feeding dogs'

There also raw feeding forums where you can information and help.

On this site you can download Tom Lonsdales two books for free

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/

A good book, which is short, easy to read is Kymythy Schultze's book, "The Ultimate Diet

- Natural Nutrition for Dogs & Cats". It's available from Amazon.

And Billinghurst's The Barf diet

It can be very helpful if you can visit someone who feeds raw and actually see it happen

Books for free ooooh i'm in, i am thinking about it and when the dogs are mature enough that i wont upset their growth i will seriously be looking at Raw helps the OH being a butcher really never thought it would come in handy LOL.

Books for free ooooh i'm in, i am thinking about it and when the dogs are mature enough that i wont upset their growth i will seriously be looking at Raw helps the OH being a butcher really never thought it would come in handy LOL.

OMG! You really will save a fortune with your OH being a butcher!!! I've become very friendly (and for a life long vegetarian I never thought I'd see the day!) with my local butcher, who luckily is an organic butcher too. He gives me all the bones for free and all I do is buy the the chicken wings from him.

I really am not sure how you would deal with this then Cheryl if Henry can't have meat. I think a good nutritionist (sp) is the best idea for you, I'd be concerned about going it alone with his history.

hey blackmagic, yes its all types of meat. he hasnt had any meat for months and his skin and coat have improved brilliantly. he does have naturediet fish sachets but thats all.

He has started eating mixed veg, mixed with naturediet and is loving it :biggrin:

hey blackmagic, yes its all types of meat. he hasnt had any meat for months and his skin and coat have improved brilliantly. he does have naturediet fish sachets but thats all.

He has started eating mixed veg, mixed with naturediet and is loving it :biggrin:

If naturediet and veggies is suiting him then perhaps you'd be better off sticking with what suits him.

However if you do want to feed a Bones And Raw Food diet then I would start by introducing one type of meat at a time for a period of two weeks, if you have no adverse effects, then add another type of meat for a period of two weeks, the minute you have a problem you'll know that that particular meat is a no no. Would suggest starting with minced chicken and giving him chicken wings as his meaty bones, they are a good ratio of meat to bone for dogs. However, first of all do your research.

Edited by Nettie

When you say 'meat' do you mean beef or all meat

There are the alternatives of chicken, turkey, rabbit, lamb, tripe

of all the meats listed the best order for sensitive dogs seems to be:

Lamb

Tripe

Turkey

Rabbit

Chicken

Archie is on a turkey dried Kibble which gives me scope to change if it is required for any skin conditions that may occur. He also went to the vet for an anal gland problem due to me giving him too much veg in the last week or so and these had to be emptied from the inside and not the usual trick of squeezing them externally.

My vet said that the veg had caused it as dogs are primarily meat eaters and they are geared upt to process this, of course some dogs will be intolerent in the same way people are dairy or gluten intolerant.

will call you sometime over the weekend