UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Acupuncture

phoenix21

I was thinking of taking phoenix to have some acupuncture for her spondylosis but was wondering if it was worth it and if other people had any experience? I have found someone that is registered not too far away. Phoenix isnt too bad at the minute but at only 6 i am worried about its progression as she is such an active dog i dont want it to limit her too much. Yesterday evening i was out in the garden with her and was asking her to sit before i threw her ball. I just pushed down on her bum (gently) to get her to sit and she yelped and held her back leg up and out to the side. Felt so guilty - she soon ran it off but if that hurts with gentle pressure what injuries could she do when she is out on walks as she is really a bull in a china shop. At the minute she only limps at night and after a very long walk (i know i shouldnt take her very long walks but she does love them so its an odd treat) and she is on runaround and fish oils (although not seen much difference regarding limping) so do you think acupuncture would have any impact at present?

Do i need a referral from my vet and how much does it normally cost?

Lily had acupuncture for her arthritis and was quite upset by it, but it could be because it was at our vets surgery and it's not her most favourite of places! She does however love her swimming and physio sessions. The swimming keeps her active but the physio was a major turning point in getting her more mobile. From memory the acupuncture was about £60 for the first session then about £30 for each one afterwards, the physio is similar.

You would need a referral from your vet for any of these things.

Buster has spondylosis and can't take any of the non steroidals so he has acupuncture sessions regularly (between once a fortnight and once a month). He also has regular physio and hydrotherapy sessions. I wouldn't say he enjoys the sessions but he does a wonderful impression of a statue the whole time and is pleased to have either a hydro session afterwards or failing all else a biscuit will do.

For the most part he has no other conventional painkillers although when he's really bad he does have vetergesic

Benji went for his first session yesterday to see if it would help his arthritis and spondylosis. We travelled about 150 miles altogether and I was worrying about that but he slept pretty much the whole way (except for when he rolled right out of the bed) :rolleyes:

He had 2 different size needles used depending on where he was sorest (is there such a word) :wacko: and lay very relaxed for most of the needles but there were a few that were painful for him, but once in, he relaxed again. A battery thingy was also attached.

She also massaged him which she said would be beneficial so im doing that in between visits.

Too early yet to see any benefit but im keeping my fingers crossed.

No experience of acupuncture for dogs or for this particular condition, but I am certainly in favour of acupuncture generally :) You will need to get a referral from your normal vet to the vet offering acupuncture, but this should be very quick and easy to do (have done it before for a homeopathic vet) :flowers: . If you have pet insurance, see if it's covered by that, some of the policies include "alternative/complementary" treatments.

thanks for advice and experience. dont have pet insurance - know i should have got it last year i so nearly did :rolleyes: am not sure she would enjoy it - last time she went to vets the table was shaking because she was shaking so much! but its worth a try. Am taking them for their vaccs soon so will ask the vet then. The vet that does it is only 15 miles from my vets so its not too bad.

what sort of massaging do you do EAD? I try to massage mollys back legs sometimes (she has arthritis and spondylosis) but not sure i actually do it right or in the right place. Hope it works for benji :flowers:

Phoenix its not any particular sort.......the vet just showed me how to stretch all his joints and massage his muscles. Tonight was my first time doing it myself so I hope ive done it right, Benji seemed pretty relaxed so I think ive done ok.

Hes in a fair amount of pain, a lot of which is muscular so im hoping it will help, along with the acupuncture and remedies.

Forgot to say in my last post that cost for his 1st session was £55, then I think £30-£35 after that. Petplan are paying in full with no excess. I didnt have a referral from my own vets, I just contacted the homeopathic vet and she then requested Benjis history.

I hope it helps Phoenix too if you do go ahead :flowers:

Our penny has acupuncture, my own vet does it, so dident need a referral for it,

at the moment she has it done every month, if she go's longer i can see the difference in her,

it does hurt her if he puts the needle in on a sore point, but other than that shes fine,

shes a lurcher so would screem the place down if it hurt,

i've found though she's verry relaxed after the session and on the way home just sleeps,

were's she would normaly be looking out to see were we are going,

my vet only charges me £25.00 thats been for every session,

There is a e-book you can buy, that shows you how to massage and do stretches on your dog,

its by jill firth who does mc timoney treatments, its not a bad book worth reading.

http://www.back-in-balance.co.uk/dog_back_problems.htm