UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Emergency Stop/down

Has anyone got any tips/methods for training a dog running at full tilt to do an emergency stop/down. My imagination is failing me and I haven't got a clue where to start, especially bearing in mind that I would be behind the dog and out of his line of sight when issuing the command. Ideally I'd like to be able to give this command with a long blow on the whistle.

Suggestions gratefully received.

we were shown how to 'stop' a dog running towards you at puppy classes.

with a treat in hidden in your hand, call the dog to you. when he's about 3 or 4 metres away, throw your hand/arm up as if you were hailing a taxi, shout 'stop' and at the same time release the treat so that it lands in front of the dog and stops him in his tracks. you'll find, after a few goes, that when you shout 'stop' he will stop and look for the treat.

releasing the treat and getting the right distance/direction takes a bit of practice :wacko: so i would try it out first!! :biggrin:

i know you asked for help for doing this when the dog is running away from you and you're behind him but maybe once he's learned the 'stop' command you should be able to halt him no matter what direction he's running in.

not sure how you would transfer this to do it on a whistle, though. :unsure:

I would teach the down near you and link it to the blow of the whistle to start with.

I would then move on getting the dog to drop while he's stood still (facing you), while he's moving towards you, while he's mooching about (but can still see you) and then eventually when he's mooching about moving away from you. The final step would be him running away from you (while you cross your fingers and pray that the training worked :unsure: )

Doing lots of (whistled) downs with him, in lots of different situations will make it easier to get the down when he's moving away from you.

I taught Zen distant downs by training him at a decent distance from me.

I would call him to me then shout "down" to stop him in his tracks. Being dog aggressive means I have to have control of him at all times when he is running loose not that he ever wanders far unless chasing deer.

I didn't realise that I had taught emergency stops until one day at agility training a small dog from another group ran up and nipped his back leg as he was doing the weaves, he took off after the other dog as it ran off and in in sheer panic I yelled the down command, he stopped immeditely,even thoght he was within inches of the smaller dog, much to my amazement and everyone elses.

The usual muttering then started about nasty GSDs, but the instructor asked how many of the others had that sort of control and who's dog wouldn't retaliate in the situation.

I went and collected him, still in shock and made loads of fuss of him.

So my answer would be, if your dog knows the down command, practice when you are out on walks, every so often when it is running around give the down comand and see what happens.

I can remember struggling for ages with a technique my old trainer gave me - recall your dog then ask for a down as they came towards you, taking several steps backwards if the dog didn't down..... All Missy learnt was to ignore me and keep on coming, as she could run forwards quicker than I could backwards.

Then I had a light bulb moment and remembered she had a good 'wait' command - so I used that instead, and bingo!

I can remember struggling for ages with a technique my old trainer gave me - recall your dog then ask for a down as they came towards you, taking several steps backwards if the dog didn't down..... All Missy learnt was to ignore me and keep on coming, as she could run forwards quicker than I could backwards.

Then I had a light bulb moment and remembered she had a good 'wait' command - so I used that instead, and bingo!

yeah jess is rubbish at down but she'll freeze on the spot at pretty much any distance if you shout wait..good thing too cos she's prone to spooking

I would teach the down near you and link it to the blow of the whistle to start with.

This is how I taught this to my working cocker boy. The stop whistle is an essential command for any gundog, it's probably the most important thing they are taught. I started with linking the whistle to a down command and a hand signal when he was in front of me, then I moved away from him gradually increasing the distance until I was 100% sure he understood the command and would do it every time. I then progressed to giving the whistle and arm command when he was moving around but could still see me and kept at this until again it was 100% when I then moved onto giving the whistle command when he was moving away from me and then when he was running and sniffing and when there were distractions around etc. if you reinforce each stage until it is 100% before moving on by the end you will have a dog which will drop to the whistle every time no matter what the situation.

• 1 month later...