UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rudy Nipping Other Dogs.

Brenda

Not sure that I actually posted a thread about Rudy, but he is our lovely blue greyhound lad. We fostered him for Claz, and he just stayed! Rudy is the most gentle, calm, sweet, coach potato that you could meet! However, we have had a problem with him with a few other dogs. Caleb is very lively and likes nothing more than a good run with any dog that is willing. Rudy seems threatened by this behaviour and has nipped 2 dogs recently. The first time was a GSD, but luckily he only had a mouthful of fur, this evening it was a lab that Caleb meets quite often and he and Caleb were very excited to see each other. There was no blood drawn, no mark as we could see and thankfully as we know the owner quite well he was fine about it. If a dog comes up to him and just sniffs he is fine, it is when they bound up or running near him. I think it must be fear aggression. I would trust him with humans totally, I trust him with Caleb and the cats too. I can't understand it and not sure what to do, although we have decided that we have no choice but to muzzle him in future. He is so incredibly patient with Caleb, Caleb mouths him and can be quote boisterous around him, but he has never gone for him, just turns his head or walks away. He definitely wouldn't tolerate this with another dog. He has never shown any aggression with Caleb, even from day 1. Any ideas, suggestions, anyone had this with their dog?? Caleb loves all other dogs and is never aggressive, can be a bit 'mouthy' in overexcitement, but it is just puppy type behaviour with him. Just to clarify, Rudy cannot be trusted off lead, and when we meet another dog we always keep him on a short lead until we know how he will react. He is okay with most dogs and we thought the first tiame was a one-off. The nipping is just that, not actual biting, but obviously I can't take the chance anymore.

Jacko bites other dogs too :rolleyes: I keep him on lead when other dogs are around but generally am able to let him off lead on our walks because his recall is excellent. I put him on lead to pass other dogs and distract him with his ball as soon as they have gone out of reach.

He hated being muzzled but I do use one if I am walking with someone with other dogs or I will use a headcollar to control where his mouth can go.

You say he can't be trusted off lead, so he's on lead when he's nipping? :unsure: I'm no expert, but wondered if rather than fear aggression it's frustration because he's on lead and other dogs are approaching him a little too "keenly"?

Thanks for replying. Yes, he is on lead when nipping. Claz had said that he can't be trusted off lead and was something of an escape artist and we proved this to be so! I hate keeping him on the lead, especially when Caleb is able to run free. However, I just can't take any chances, especially now. He may well be frustrated although he seems happy on the lead and never pulls. We have bought him a 30ft lunge line, but he still tends to keep to our side. We have quite a large garden, but he rarely runs or plays in it, quite content to just lay outside if the weather is nice, but usually wants to be back indoors with us.

Thanks for replying. Yes, he is on lead when nipping. Claz had said that he can't be trusted off lead and was something of an escape artist and we proved this to be so! I hate keeping him on the lead, especially when Caleb is able to run free. However, I just can't take any chances, especially now. He may well be frustrated although he seems happy on the lead and never pulls. We have bought him a 30ft lunge line, but he still tends to keep to our side. We have quite a large garden, but he rarely runs or plays in it, quite content to just lay outside if the weather is nice, but usually wants to be back indoors with us.

Replying purely on the basis of this post, it may be as has been suggested partly frustration - if he is there when Caleb is running free it wouldn't be unsual behaviour for the dog on lead to get nippy.

It may be an idea to take him out separetly if that's possible...howwever, without seeing, it could also be that he's not comfortable with other dogs coming close whilst he's on lead (or even off lead?).

I agree this sounds more like frustration or excitement than real aggression to me. My little lad Az has a tendency to want to scruff:

1) dogs with testicles

2) dogs that bounce around excitedly and are overfamiliar with his girlfriend

3) dogs that fail to Respect His Authority by barking at him or bouncing at him disrespectfully when he is on the lead

He scruffed a young deerhound the other day which had got out of someone's garden and was terribly overexcited about having found some new sighthounds (my dogs were on the lead of course). He is only little, but he's awfully stern sometimes. And yet generally he is excellent with other dogs, and I've never felt that this was really a big problem for him.

If it is a similar kind of thing with Rudy, I wouldn't be too worried, but of course you need to find a way to manage it with him onlead. If he is feeling jealous of dogs that get to run with Caleb, what about taking a squeaky toy with you, and while Caleb is bouncing with his friends, play a game with the squeaky onlead with Rudy, to distract him and make him feel that he's having fun too?

Edited by cycas