UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Is It With People! Rant Sorry Rant Rant!

geniegembob

I spend a lot of time refering people who post there pets on free sites for re-homing to rescue sites- currently on my last count there are 10 cats; a tortoise; 32 dogs and several parrots!

Fancy taking a risk with where the pets are going and or what your getting?

I am sure the pets are perfectly good and healthy but that is not the point;

I just don't get why people don't go to rescue sites when the obviously have access to internet to search in the first place! Either these moronic people don't give a darn or just don't have the capacity to think outside the box! Maybe there is a way to stop pets being advertised on these free sites?

Last week I sent 425 people emails with links to this and other sites!

:wacko: Its enough to drive me bonkers!

I am sure the pets are perfectly good and healthy but that is not the point;

I just don't get why people don't go to rescue sites when the obviously have access to internet to search in the first place! Either these moronic people don't give a darn or just don't have the capacity to think outside the box! Maybe there is a way to stop pets being advertised on these free sites?

Wish I had a £1 for everytme I've been asked about rehoming a dog and told "I don't want it to go into a rescue" :angry: They seem to think there is some sort of stigma atached.

I've spent hours persuading people that a good rescue is the best place for the pet, it will get the right home and lifetime back up.

Then you have those that want the animal out immediately and aren't prepared to wait for a rescue space to come up or a suitable new home to be found.

The only way to stop it is if free ads stop advertising livestock.

Ok.. controversially... I have a freeads dog.

My Dougal came from a paper around 10 years ago. His owner didn't want him to go to rescue because she wanted to ensure that the home he went to was the right one for him and she wanted to maintain contact, which she duly did. I was checked out, I provided refs and I continued the contact, though she never visited because she felt it would stress him.

I have no problem with it, never have. I think each case is individual and you can't force everyone to have the same view. It works for some but not for all.

Yes, it is a risk but is it any more risk than private rehoming here? I don't think so.

If you do your research in the same way a rescue does, you can find the perfect home for your pet. Calling all those owners who choose this method morons because it doesn't accord with your point of view is a bit much, I think. JMHO.

I quite agree. There is nothing wrong with using the free ads to reach a wider audience to find the best home for your pet IF you are going to check them out. It doesn't matter where people see the advert,whether it is a shop window,vets surgery,on a rescue forum or in a paper. They are the same people reading the ad!! the crunch comes whether people are going to just let the animal go or whether they will actually bother to follow up on the new owners ,but again if they are not fussy where the dog goes it still doesn't matter a jot where they saw the ad!x

We've had several staffies and staffie x advertised on our local freecycle recently. It's very hard to know what to advise - realistically there's absolutely nowhere locally where there's any chance of getting them a good rescue place. The nearest rescue I'd feel comfortable referring people to is some distance away and has a huge waiting list.

It's great to direct people here or to other rescue sites, but the chances of them finding a home or rescue place for a staffie x has to be pretty slim at the moment.

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of dogs or other animals being 'freecycled', but if people really need to rehome they may not have a lot of other options open to them.

Edited by Fee

I think that there is a difference between the paper called the Free Ads that advertises everything for free(the ads are free),the animals are not necessarily free, and freecycle which is supposed to advertise things that are being saved from the dump!! As animals are not supposed to be taken to the council tip :unsure: I cannot see why the freecycle sites allow these ads. However loads of people who want a dog and are unsure where to find one look in the Free Ads paper and quite a few reputable rescues advertise in there too.As I said before,if it gets a dog a good home then I don't think it matters where you advertise.,the potential homes are screened in exactly the same way.x

Edited by ranirottie