UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is Just A Fish Diet Ok

Guest peggysmum

Guest peggysmum

hello all just a quick question, my spaniel peggy has been after a long round of tests and after losing half her body weight been diagnosed with ibs under the vets instruction i have done a food trial and so far chicken bad, beef very bad ,fish okdokie no reaction at all.my agility instructer suggested giving her fish and brown rice cooked by me (still got to test rice ) but im wandering if fish on its own would provide all the right stuff. have previously fed her burns but as was in middle of bad tum times cant remember if the fish one caused the same probs as the other flavours,may try it and see but in the mean time what do you think fish and rice on there own or try a complete like burns.still have to test rabbit and lamb but im sure they'll go thr same way as chicken :mellow: not nice believe me, any thoughts any one thanks peg and pegsmum :unsure:

I don't know but the burns dog food advises the ingredients as

Contains: Brown Rice (min 63%), Fish (min18%), Oats, Peas, Fish Oil, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals and Vitamins

so not much more then rice and fish so worth a try.

x x

Wafcol do a fish/potato food and also a fish/corn one, so it might be worth reading the packs to see what else is added.

One of my neighbours dogs ate only fish and potato (home made) for years and did very well on it. You could always add a powered vitamin supplement.

Guest peggysmum

thanks karen and murtle i think i might try burns again and wafcol if no good have to be really carefull with her cause the wrong food causes her a lot of pain as well as green slimy jobs,yuk.i suppose if there no good then i'll have to get out my chef's hat thanks pegsmum

I'd stick with real fish, try rice, try potato, and gradually try different veggies. Real food you always know exactly what's in it and can minimise upsets. Oats are usually well tolerated, make porridge with wtaer though. Is plain natural live yoghurt ok? If so, a spoon of that is good with meals, helps keep the gut healthy, good bacteria etc.

Dogs need some nutrition from veggies too. I feed mine fish quite often (whole fillets not tinned) with rice or oats and veggies. Have a look here - there are four parts to it and worth reading them all - it gives a good insight into what your dog needs in terms of nutrition. :flowers: