UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

George And Ty Things

bebe

Just a quick fur-baby update.

George and Ty have been on the barf diet for a week now, and love it. Im hoping it will help calm Ty a little, and help with Georges skin, it gets a bit sore in his groin area. I dont know if Im imagining this, but Georges coat seems different already, his markings and mask seem more defined, the black bits look blacker or something, would that be possible?

They had raw green tripe this morning. :sick01: George always eats fast, but Ty normally eats in a very ladylike manner, small mouthfulls very slowly, this morning she ate as if shes not eaten for a month, then asked for more :rolleyes: . She still needs to lose some weight, but it looks as if shes lost some already.

Ty still wont eat chicken wings though, she doesnt seem to know what to do with it and just throws it about in the air and licks it. Ive tried smashing it up a bit, but she still wont eat it, George crunches it though and loves it.

I stopped the hydrotherapy with Tyra, she hated it so much. It was just too stressfull for her, it wasnt working. Shes gone through another wont-go-out phase, and this one was worse than any of the others, she wouldnt even go out in the garden at one point. :sad02: A few times she even messed in the house when she couldnt hold it in any longer, poor little thing, but I didnt tell her off because I know she mustve been so worried about doing that. The last few days shes been fine though, and has been out for walks with George, but wont go without him. Sometimes I go with them. :biggrin:

I went back to the vet when Ty was at her worse, I asked again for a thyroid test, but again the vet was reluctant, he said he could tell by her heartrate and coat that it wasnt a thyroid problem. He prescribed Clomicalm, which Im not too happy about, I didnt want to resort to medication. I havnt started her on it yet, I keep putting it off cos I feel so bad about giving it to her, as if Im failing her or something. The vet said even if she only has it for around 8 weeks, it will help her to cope with walks and re-condition her brain, so she can re-learn that walks are fun.

Has anyone here tried it? Id really be greatfull if someone could advise me how their dog got on with it.

I bought some Melatonin off e.bay because I read that it can help, shes been on it for a few weeks now but I havnt seen any difference, although because its a natural product I dont mind her staying on it for a while longer. I take it too instead of sleeping pills, and it works for me :unsure:

The dreaded Chihuhua woman is now breeding them :sad02: , so theres going to be more than the usuall 4 yapping at Ty as they walk by the house, if she keeps any of the pups, which I think she will. Once my house is straight (it WILL be straight one day, wont it? :unsure: ), I,ll spend more time in the back rooms so Ty doesnt havnt to put up with them yapping at her 8 times a day.

My neighbour is still being a pain, the latest complaint is that the dogs are causing another neighbours cats to spend too much time in HIS garden. Apparently the cats are chased out of my garden by the dogs, and jump over the fence into his garden. So its my fault another neighbours cats go in his garden. :wacko: Whatever.

I can see a few solutions to this problem. Either he goes to the other neighbour and complains about her cats TO HER, or, I get rid of my dogs so the cats will spend more time in MY garden and less in his, or, he fecks off! :angry:

The last option sounds the best to me :flowers:

Your neighbour is a fruit loop :wacko:

If you don't want to try the clonicalm, post it to me :biggrin: Seriously though, I am thinking of trying Len on it, because as he's getting older his SA has come back :( If you decide to try it, let me know how it goes :)

Edited by JoC

We tried Clomicalm as a last solution to help our collie in the car. Can't say that there was much improvement, so we stopped it. But then again, different dog, different situation blah blah etc etc :rolleyes: .

Glad to see you back. If Ty is happy going for walkies with George then thats great.

Ty still wont eat chicken wings though, she doesnt seem to know what to do with it and just throws it about in the air and licks it. Ive tried smashing it up a bit, but she still wont eat it, George crunches it though and loves it.

only 1 of my 3 worked out how to eat chicken wings so I don't think its something that every dog "gets"

Hi bebe,

I found the barf diet fantastic at calming my Roo down, infact I very nearly took him to the vet thinking he was ill as I'd never known him to lie still for more than 20 minutes :laugh:

I think the coat becomes softer and shinier within a few days of starting on it.

If you get a jug type blender with the blades at the bottom, you can blend the wings up for Ty and if she still doesnt want to eat them try pouring a bit of the water off a can of tuna in spring water on them, that usually does the trick :rolleyes: (worked for my fussy cat!)

Di x

dont want to hijack the thread - lovely to hear about ty and george btw - do we get some pics soon? :unsure: :biggrin:

anyway - what is the barf diet - is it just raw meat? id be interested to try it on phoenix but she tends to be sick and get the runs if she has bones with quite a bit of meat on from the butchers so would the diet have the same effect on her?

nice to see u back bebe :flowers:

Edited by phoenix21

If you don't want to try the clonicalm, post it to me :biggrin: Seriously though, I am thinking of trying Len on it, because as he's getting older his SA has come back :( If you decide to try it, let me know how it goes :)

Will do Jo. And if I decide not to use it, I,ll send the bottle to you. :flowers:

only 1 of my 3 worked out how to eat chicken wings so I don't think its something that every dog "gets"

Thats a good way of putting it Sam, Ty just doesnt "get" them, she hasnt got a clue what shes supposed to do with it. Id have thought that seeing George chomping away on them, she might at least copy him? :rolleyes:

dont want to hijack the thread - lovely to hear about ty and george btw - do we get some pics soon? :unsure: :biggrin:

anyway - what is the barf diet - is it just raw meat? id be interested to try it on phoenix but she tends to be sick and get the runs if she has bones with quite a bit of meat on from the butchers so would the diet have the same effect on her?

nice to see u back bebe :flowers:

If your feeding Tripe, BARF stands for Bleedin Awful Rotten Fumes...

Im a real barf newbie so I cant help you much, but maybe try Pheonix on the Natures Menu frozen mince, you just defrost it and feed it raw, I know what you mean about bones and the runs though, George gets the runs sometimes after a bone, (he gets Colitis) but he never has after just raw meat, so it must be a bit different?

I think if its Marrow bones you give, the marrow can be a bit rich? :unsure:

Sarah Wiccaweys always used to have a great Barf feeding sheet (RAWFAB I think she calls it) - I'm sure for an ickle donation she'll send you a copy?

oooh, Id be interested in that too!

Hi phoenix21

If you do a search for barf theres some really good sites that explain it :flowers:

When Roo was fed a well known dried food (all natural ingredients etc) I couldn't give him any treats at all as they very quickly caused him to have an upset stomach, he was also hyperactive, he's been fed on the barf diet now for approx 5 yrs and eats a very wide variety of foods with no ill effects whatsoever. Also my cat, who for years was very nervous, turned in to a cuddle monster and now greets all my visitors instead of hiding upstairs :rolleyes:

Di x

Thats a good way of putting it Sam, Ty just doesnt "get" them, she hasnt got a clue what shes supposed to do with it. Id have thought that seeing George chomping away on them, she might at least copy him? :rolleyes:

you would think wouldn't you ? but Holly and Winnie watched Noah chomp his and sat there with totally puzzled faces ( they did lick them before giving up )

I tend to cook some meat/chicken for them with rice and veggies and more recently since reading another thread here porridge oats ( instead of rice ) , I also give them canned fish ( Pilchards in tomato sauce ) and rice once a week

I think its really a matter of trying differant things untill you find something that they both like and works for them

Good to see you back Bebe :flowers:

I gave up on the BARF diet after a while as I didn't have the freezer space (or space to add another freezer) to buy what I needed in bulk and was anxious I wasn't doing it right - the more I learned the more I got confused and stressed that I wasn't feeding Purdie a balanced meal. For a long time though it seemed to sort out her gland problems but then they came back again, and in the end I gave up, I do think it's ace though if you have the time/money/local supplier etc, let us know how you get on.

Phoenix - definitely try it, just be really careful introducing it as the addition of bones too quickly can have a dog literally screaming in pain if they are unable to pass them properly, start with just the meat would be my suggestion and do lots of reading, there is a BARF user group thingy on yahoo I think which might be useful?