UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pet Insurance

geniegembob

Animal Friends just excluded Akitas from being insured because they are dangerous dogs. A friend of mine had her AKita insured there and they kicked her out. She never ever made a claim and her dog is not at all dangerous.

Eidted to say M&S hiked up thier prices terribly. I paid for Kioko £10 per month, now it is £17 :(

Edited by akitas

I would also advise anyone taking out insurance to check the level of cover - Marks and Spencer for me every time (for five dogs and five cats) :flowers:

I have heard lots of bad things (and nothing good) about E&L too :rolleyes:

Well, I'll be able to let you know soon, I've got a couple of claims going through now, so fingers crossed all goes well!

Lynn

Eidted to say M&S hiked up thier prices terribly. I paid for Kioko £10 per month, now it is £17

Still quite good value for money though, with their no excess policy. Certainly cheaper than pet plan with an £80 excess! THeir admin is a bit pants but they have so far always paid out. I think their prices were very unrealistic before and it was only a matter of time before they had to put them up. As long as they keep up the no excess policy i think they are fantastic.

Still quite good value for money though, with their no excess policy. Certainly cheaper than pet plan with an £80 excess! THeir admin is a bit pants but they have so far always paid out. I think their prices were very unrealistic before and it was only a matter of time before they had to put them up. As long as they keep up the no excess policy i think they are fantastic.

Well, when I asked for a quote for Max my young Border Collie, they quoted me a price of £27 per month. Which I find rather costly as well.

Somebody on the Wiccaweys forum recommended this insurance.

insurance link

But here is another question: When I ask for a quote for a rescue dog, is he a pedigree or a crossbreed?

I only know for sure for one of my dogs that it is a pedigree. To me it doesn't make a difference, but it makes a huge difference in the quote apparently.

The question came up, as when you register you recued Border Collie on the working register of the Kennel Club, they classify them as working sheepdogs, becuase there is no eveidence of pedigree.

I have all my dogs insured with M&S and for all apart from Max, it costs about £11 a month, whether they are down as a Border Collie or crossbreed. Max has gone up to £15 because they spent close to £3,000 on him in the previous year with his X Rays and MRI Scan. All the cats are with them too and for all 10 animals it costs less than £90 a month.

I like the no excess bit of the policy for obvious reasons and whatever the difference in price between M&S and cheaper policies (which are probably not as good) you make back easily by not paying any excess, even if you only visit the vets a couple of times a year. :flowers:

I used to be insured with Animal friends and was with them for years but when I needed to claim (twice) my vet would not deal with them direct as he said they are too slow to pay out and both times they found a really silly excuse not to pay!! The first time was when Ebbi got an ear infection and it became deep seated,they refused to pay because they said she had an ear infection when she was a pup so it made it a pre existing condition! an ear infection!!! I was so angry! I am now with the NFU which is good. My quote from M and S for Ebbi, a 6 year old rottie was £48 a month and my one that I use from the NFU is £25 a month,a lot of difference when I had 4 dogs!

Edited by ranirottie

But here is another question: When I ask for a quote for a rescue dog, is he a pedigree or a crossbreed?

I only know for sure for one of my dogs that it is a pedigree. To me it doesn't make a difference, but it makes a huge difference in the quote apparently.

The question came up, as when you register you recued Border Collie on the working register of the Kennel Club, they classify them as working sheepdogs, becuase there is no eveidence of pedigree.

For insurance purposes pedigree just means pure breed, i.e. both parents were the same breed, regardless of whether you have their pedigrees. The additional costs is because most pure breeds have health problems associated with that breed. Oddly though some insurers count lurchers as pure breeds, but if you list your dog as a cross, your insurance is invalid and the insurance company would refuse to pay out if they found out.

• 3 weeks later...

Well having received my renewal notice through from M&S and finding that the price has been hiked up from £120 a year to £150, I thought I'd apply for a new quote online from them just out of interest.

Sure enough, for a 5 year old crossbreed such as Bailey is, it's offering me the exact same policy for £122. I rang them to ask why and they couldn't tell me and they weren't able to lower the renewal price either. Hopeless! I told the girl that I could cancel this policy and then apply for another one and save almost £30 and she agreed. Bonkers!

Well having received my renewal notice through from M&S and finding that the price has been hiked up from £120 a year to £150, I thought I'd apply for a new quote online from them just out of interest.

Sure enough, for a 5 year old crossbreed such as Bailey is, it's offering me the exact same policy for £122. I rang them to ask why and they couldn't tell me and they weren't able to lower the renewal price either. Hopeless! I told the girl that I could cancel this policy and then apply for another one and save almost £30 and she agreed. Bonkers!

If you have claimed this policy year i would expect the new policy will exclude anything you have claimed for even if the old policy would of covered it - just check before yoy cancel one :flowers: